Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sizzly94
New
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SE 3dr 2010

Juddering - EGR??

Post by Sizzly94 »

Hi guys,
Hope you're all well.

Me again...same issue as previous still happening!! (VW polo, 1.6 TDi, 10 reg, @102k miles)

Background...

-Owned my first car for a year now.
-Juddering issue ongoing for the full year.
-Juddering occurs every 1-2 weeks and will judder when maintaining speeds e.g. 20mph/30mph...
-Car will rough idle every time I start the engine (revs jumping up and down between 800-1200)
-Car will stall when Im breaking to a halt first thing in the morning and then will aggressively hunt in revs when immediately start engine again.
-Juddering ONLY stops once Ive took the car for a good blast on the motorway.

Work done to the car...
-DPF cleaned (regenerations are now a lot quicker)
-Air intake manifold cleaned by removing and soaking in brake fluid (this was full of carbon)
-EGR valve into the manifold also cleaned (mechanic sprayed some cleaning stuff down the pipe?)

I was previously told by a few mechanics that it was the DPF but surely if it was, the car would go into limp mode? Im starting to think it could be the EGR from what Ive read.

Really frustrating this one guys...What can I do next? Do I need a new EGR? Do I need it cleaned? Is it a pain to clean due to location and near 13 year old bolts that could snap?

Or do I try alternative methods to fix... All opinions welcome! Just want it sorting asap.

Thanks for reading guys.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Juddering - EGR??

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that I've read that these 1.6TDI engines, especially after having the emissions mods carried out, "eat" EGR valves for lunch - I've absolutely no experience of this engine, just exposure to comments concerning them.

Hopefully someone with practical experience of this engine will come along soon!