Screenwash recomendations

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Screenwash recomendations

Post by Bepis »

I used to buy a box of 10 of the 1 litre VW G052 164 M2 -70° for £30-£40 depending on the dealer which would last me all year. I've come to buy my box of 10 for this year and was quoted £90 :shock:

Upon checking it seems the going rate for a litre of the stuff is £9 which is absurd. £3 per litre was on the higher side but as it was highly concentrated, easy to wash off, and also smelt pretty good I was ok with the slightly higher price.

I was looking at the £33 5L jugs of the AutoGlym screenwash as the cost per 5L mix at summer ratios works out to around £3 which is roughly what I was paying for the VW stuff. Mixing at 1:9 rather than 1:4.

Any other recommendations?

Also, any ideas who makes the VW stuff? I can't find anything online or any markings on the bottle of a manufacturer.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Screenwash recomendations

Post by SRGTD »

Wow! 😮. That’s some price increase.

I’ve also used the same screen wash for many years; I still have a couple of bottles before I need to replenish my stock.

How about Quantum Premium screen wash? It states that it’s suitable for VAG cars (and BMW’s) with fan washer jets. Depending on dilution rate it’ll protect down to -30°C which should be fine for UK winters. Summer dilution rate is 1:10.

Price is £19.99 for 5 litres at the link below (works out slightly cheaper for larger quantities); you may find it cheaper with a bit of internet searching. The details at the link states it’s ‘VW/Audi’s own make - registered trademark of the Volkswagen group’.

https://boothtowncarparts.co.uk/shop/ol ... -FAN-5-LTR

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it if you decide to buy it.

Edit; A bit more internet searching and it seems as if you can buy Quantum in different strengths with different protection levels. The ‘Premium’ version looks to be the most concentrated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Just a small point, "Quantum" is just an aftermarket brand created by/for VW Group for UK markets/marques and none of its products are same as used at VW Group factories, which is okay as long as that is not what your are trying to buy.
For instance, many people visit their VW Group service area to buy windscreen wiper blades - so that they buy the same as was fitted to the car initially, and they walk out with something that probably fits but involves assembling it using universal adaptor kits - much cheaper than genuine parts but not the same.
Similarly the oils sold in a Quantum container are not the same as used at initial factory fill, what is in these containers depends on which oil company currently holds the contract to supply to VW Group marques within UK.

I've been buying Holts windscreen cleaner in concentrated form as we have soft water locally, now the name has changed to maybe Preston or similar but is still being supplied into the UK market by Holts.

I did consider changing to buying the VW Group product by the case when my usual Holts version stopped being sold, but when I realised that Preston (or similar) seemed to be the same "stuff", I dropped the idea of buying genuine VW Group windscreen cleaner.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Any -20 °C from gas station and similar works completely fine for winter. If you doubt it there are -40°C ( wurth etc.)

For summer all of them work fine, and there are many scented smells. If you want to blow money you have Sonax summer fluid.
If you are to dilute use destiled water