Is it worth to upgrade to Sat-Nav on Ready 2 Discover

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Is it worth to upgrade to Sat-Nav on Ready 2 Discover

Post by es_paradis »

Hi y'all,

My facelifted GTI has Ready 2 Discover with an option to buy satellite navigation later - I mostly use Apple or Google maps, so I probably wouldn't gain as much, but I do like the idea of having the map in the digital cockpit.

Are there any other advantages of upgrading to the factory GPS? If the only thing is having the map in the instrument cluster, then it makes little sense to pay more than 700 EUR for it, but I'm curious to see other features. Sadly, VW site gives out very little data on that. Thanks!
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Is it worth to upgrade to Sat-Nav on Ready 2 Discover

Post by POLO Clive »

I personally love a proper built-in Sat Nav, and I will always buy a car with it factory installed, but a built-in system doesn't necessarily work any better, or make the car worth any more when you come to sell it, so if you're happy with using an alternative, you might as well stick with it.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

The only benefit is the satnav can go in the dials. But personally I prefer waze anyway.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Judging by sat nav related posts on various VW forums, sat nav phone apps such as Waze and Google Maps are as good if not better than VW’s sat nav, and are likely to be more up to date / accurate too.

I personally wouldn’t pay €700 to be able to have the sat nav maps between the instrumentation dials, but then we’re all different and have different likes and wants which is a good thing. However, I can think of better things to spend €700 on.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

My new one has built in Sat Nav but I only used it the first couple of times. Now I use Google Maps connected wirelessly via Android Auto. You still get the turn by turn directions on the active info display (between the dials) even with Google Maps, just can't display the full map on it.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Both our cars have built in SatNav, but I still use a stick on Garmin because it is easier to use and has more functionality.

Often play both side by side and flip/flop the digi-dash.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

i do not use my inbuilt one in my polo . I had it in the golf 8 and when i used it it sent me to wrong destination more than once, so not got any confidence in it. I just use my apple maps or google, and the apple one puts arrows on my dashboard as well