Mk3 Buying Guide

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
pettsy

Mk3 Buying Guide

Post by pettsy »

Along with other models, though it would be a good idea to have a Mk3 Buying Guide. The following points are only what i've been told myself, feel free to add your experiences/problems/things to watch out for and then i'll edit them all into one post!

Cheers, Pettsy

*thanks to Del for the extra bits*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Water/petrol can collect under the arch trims and underseal and leave you with rust problems. Keep a good eye out for this.

2. Also check the runners above the rear lights as dirt can collect, block the runners and cause rust too. These problems seem to be less severe with metallic cars.

3. Check where the petrol filler neck connects to the tank as they rust through.

4. Check the back of the battery for rust

5. Check round the window rubbers for signs of a respray

6. check in the boot for the boot sticker and to see if the boot floor has any bends/ripples in it (signs of accident damage).

7. Check the front wings for the VW logo and clips each side

8.Check the bonnet for the rubber buffers when it's closed

9. Head gasket blows around 80k.

10. The mounting plate holding the fuel pump, in-line fuel filter etc at the back of the car suffers badly from rust. Be sure to replace this as soon as. By either making your own or ordering a new part.

11. If the Polo hesitates for no apparent reason, when accelarating or just travelling along at a constant speed (like you've tapped the brakes on and off) this could be a sign that it needs a new throttle body potention meter. Around £40-£60.

12. If there is scratched paintwork on the door sills, it's a sign the door has dropped and needs adjusted.

13. If there is a buzzing noise, or the sound like an airplane overhead when driving. This is a sign of a knackered wheel bearing.
Last edited by pettsy on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.