Multiple misfires - covered by warranty?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lukedd5
New
Drives: 6r

Multiple misfires - covered by warranty?

Post by lukedd5 »

Hi all. Been lurking on the forum for a while and have a question someone may be able to help me with. I drive a 2016 6r gti with roughly 52000 miles on the clock.

I bought this car from Volkswagen used just over a year ago and haven’t had any issues with it up until 2 weeks ago when it began misfiring and having trouble starting. With the car being under warranty I took it straight to the dealer for them to investigate the issue. They came back a few days later saying that the car has multiple misfires and the issue would need investigated further. I’ve not got a lot of mechanical knowledge however from what I’ve read there is a large range of things that this could be caused by. Does anyone know if this is something likely to be covered by the approved used warranty or am I going to be stung with a bill for thousands of pounds?

Thanks, Luke
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Multiple misfires - covered by warranty?

Post by alexperkins »

It should be covered by the warranty, providing you havent got spark plugs worn out etc. Is it the 1.4TSI or the 1.8T block you have?
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Hi and welcome,

In answer to your question that really depends on a couple of things , what the dealer finds as to the cause of the 'misfire' ie what parts are required to fix said issue and secondly the terms and conditions of the warranty cover .

You may find the warranty is top notch and covers most everything OR limits your claim to a given amount per claim, which in most cases is useless when you factor in labour and parts, some warranties dont cover diagnostics either.

2016 should be 1.8T 6C
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you find out that it is not fully covered by the used car warranty, then maybe cut your losses and head for AVW who are a local VW Group Indie workshop.

Edit:- sorry maybe ignore that if you are not near the Edinburgh area, there are other good VW Group Indies around Scotland, roughly where are you based?
lukedd5
New

Post by lukedd5 »

Hi all, just a quick update on the situation for anyone interested.

Car is still with Vw. I haven’t seen the car since June 27th. After authorising them to investigate further they checked a number of things. Carried out basic settings for both intake and exhaust cam shaft adjuster valves - all okay. Removed coil packs and inspect for damage - all okay. Removed spark plugs and inspected all okay. I then received a call from Vw stating that before they investigated any further the master technician had requested to have the valves cleaned to rule out carbon buildup at a cost to me as ‘cleaning’ is not included in warranty😡. This was carried out and the car is continuing to fault. They are now awaiting response from technical for over 3 days.

I’m hoping that they find something under warranty, which would cover the previous costs, however I am skeptical to authorise more time to be spent on the car as the bill is getting bigger and I’m no further forward than I was on day one. Hopefully will have some good news soon
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Getting the inlet area cleaned on a 7 year old DI car can only be a good thing going forward, I'm just trying to point out something positive - not that that will help much until this whole issue has been resolved!

Wiring, ECU and injectors, Lambda sensor next on the "let's try that" list, VW Mothership Tech support will/should be guiding them, keep your spirit up.
lukedd5
New

Post by lukedd5 »

Appreciate the positivity😁 I had a meeting with the manager of the branch on the 24th. Took me into office and explained that they at this point still did not know what was wrong with the car and were “scratching their heads”. He showed me some of the messages between the master technician and VW technical who is guiding them. There was a diagnostic process that they were working through. He said that they should be done that by the end of the week and had hoped for a fix, failing that they would have to go back to technical. Manager seemed on my side as he said that it cannot go on the way it’s going and keep costing me.

I received a text Friday past, stating that they had completed the diagnostic process and that they still hadn’t found a fault, and that they had been given a different direction of diagnosis by VW. Fingers crossed this comes up with something