Polo GTI engine whistle sound - is it normal?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Polo GTI engine whistle sound - is it normal?

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Hi guys

I have a 2020 Polo GTI and ive noticed that when it is idling i can hear a strange noise that i would describe as being like a mouse playing a flute

I cannot be sure it is a new noise, ive only had the car 2 months and would usually be playing music so wouldnt notice it.

I can hear it from inside the car when sitting at traffic - this is with aircon/radio etc turned off. I recorded a short clip and uploaded it to youtube (listen to the first 5 seconds as after that there is some traffic noise). If i go and listen under the bonnet i cannot hear it as the engine noise drowns anything else out.

Link to listen: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/M5BDXojJGLw (sound seems to be better on Youtube mobile)

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it normal sounds from the turbo?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Polo GTI engine whistle sound - is it normal?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I listened to the clip on full volume and couldn't hear the noise you speak off but then I am old and slightly hard of hearing. Sorry mate.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Not listened to the clip yet but my 2020 GTI+ doesn’t make the noise you describe. I’ll have a listen later when I’m able to.

As you can hear the noise in the car at engine idle speed, could it be the heater fan making the noise rather than the turbo? (You’ve said you turned the air con off but didn’t say whether or not the heater fan was still running).
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I can only hear the whistle sound when playing it on the youtube app on my phone, on PC i cant hear it
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Hey SRGTD, the fan is turned off too
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Just drove home in my car without music (a first for me!) so I could specifically listen for any whistling type noises; I couldn’t hear any.

Also listened to your video clip now I’m home - I think I can hear a faint noise but have no idea what it might be.

Sorry, can help or provide any advice ☹️.
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Cheers. Although since you mentioned the word fan im wondering if it might be the engine fan - ive only noticed this noise when ive been driving a while in traffic, i dont hear it on startup. ill see if i can work out if its the engine fan
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Sounds like it could be 1 of two things. The engine cooling fan which makes a very low noise that you are hearing and the other place it could be is in the glove compartment where the infotainment computer is located, there is a fan that sometimes runs and you only hear it if you’ve been using the infotainment for a while and it is warm (or your car heating is high as that will trigger the fan too). Otherwise it could be the fuel pump or many other pumps in the engine compartment.
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Cheers, next time it happens im going to have a listen around the glovebox and lift the bonnet to see if its the engine fan
PoloGTInoob
New

Post by PoloGTInoob »

Having said that, the noise stops the moment i stop the engine. If it was the engine fan i presume it wouldnt stop immediately, not sure about the infotainment system fan