Polo 6C Heated MFSW Retrofit [Help]

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
kerem-tr
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.4 TDI 90 PS

Polo 6C Heated MFSW Retrofit [Help]

Post by kerem-tr »

Hi guys! I'm new here. I just bought a new heated steering (5H0 419 089) wheel for my Polo 6C and I don't know how to proceed. I realized that I need a new clock spring because mine (6C0 959 653) does not have a heated steering bolt. I searched the market and I found some similar clock springs with different codes like 5Q0 953 549 B or 5Q0 953 569 B but I don't know which one will fit my car. Also, I want to know what should be done after clockspring replacement. Like coding or putting an emulator etc.

I would be happy if you could help me with this issue.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by kerem-tr on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo 6C Heated MFSW Retrofit [Help]

Post by iichel »

as far as I know you'll be the first one to do this on a Polo 6C, so please keep us informed of your progress, thanks.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

+1

---

Hello kerem-tr. Welcome to the forum! I wish you good luck with your project.

---
Without a doubt, the concept 'similar' is extraordinarily relative.
kerem-tr
New

Post by kerem-tr »

I went to a retrofit shop and they told that it would work only with an emulator. But the emulator will not enough to use heating. I need to buy a clock spring. I saw iichel did his polo but his steering column stalks is different from mine. I want to know that if 5Q0 953 549D or B could be used instead of 5Q0 953 569 B. Also do you guys know which stalks are compatible with these heated clock springs. Which car's stalks can be used to fit heated clock spring.

I attached my steering column stalks:

And could you tell me where do you purchased the emulator for this application, where can I find it?
iichel

Post by iichel »

You can use the 5Q0 clockspring on the 6C0 stalks, that's no problem. It will fit directly.

Use the multimeter to trace the pins from connector to connector for airbag, GND, power to MFSW, cruise control and LINBUS.
The 7E0 buttons will work on a 5G0 heated steering wheel, and will talk to your BCM/gateway directly.
For 5H0 type MFSW, I'm not sure.

You will need to modify the PCB a little bit to connect the slip ring directly to the input pins. I soldered two wires on the PCB:
viewtopic.php?p=587740#p587740

To supply the power to the heating, you will need to be smart. Some people use emulator to operate via button. I'm not aware of an emulator for PQ26, only PQ25 and PQ35.
Maybe PQ25 emulator will work, but I'm absolutely not sure

Other option is to use i.e. heated seats LED (from button) to operate the relay. Or make extra button and operate via BCM, with circuit like heated windshield (Skoda Rapid PQ26 has it).

But it's very experimental and you must be careful and smart, and do it safely.
kerem-tr
New

Post by kerem-tr »

Thank you for sharing your knowledge iichel. I ordered the clock spring 5Q0 953 569 B. Is there any other way to fit the clock spring to car other than soldering that two wires?
iichel

Post by iichel »

I don't know, i guess you'll have to find out.
kerem-tr
New

Post by kerem-tr »

Hello again guys,

I have replaced my angle sensor with 5q0 953 569b. Replaced the wirings from the old angle sensor and mounted the heated MFSW. After coding the new steering wheel the lights on the buttons are came on. The radio control buttons and multi function display buttons works. ACC buttons and steering heater buttons also have the lights. I haven't wired the ACC because I don't have the equipments (radar, camera etc.). But I have a question, how can I activate the steering heating. I didn't use any emulators on steering wheel. I give the supply from a fuse on drivers side fusebox. When press the heating button. Nothing happens at all.

I will upload the image of the current status of steering.
Thank you for your support.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

What is the coding of the buttons?
kerem-tr
New

Post by kerem-tr »

I didn’t code any of the buttons. I coded the steering wheel as ACC multifunction steering then all of the lights came up and the buttons started to work as my previous steering wheel. The buttons aork without any other modification or an emulator. I think it is result of polo 6c’s mqb gateway.

Also after the retrofitting new angle sensor. I have errors with autoscan on central electrics and gateway. It says there is communication lost on steering column and an undefined multifunction module.

So far I changed the wires from the t12 plug to hardwire the horn. Because new steerings horn is via lin. But with that configuration my horn was not working.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Apart from other possible coding or actions on other units (which I do not know for this retrofit case), the buttons must be coded.
I assume that some unit must know or receive some signal that the heated steering wheel is ON/OFF...