2024 Model Year Polo R Line

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Glyn Jones
New
Drives: 2024 model year Polo R Line

2024 Model Year Polo R Line

Post by Glyn Jones »

I have recently taken delivery of a new (2024 Model Year) Polo R-Line 110ps DSG with Drivers Assistance Pack, Rear View Camera and Matrix Headlights. I now realise that the car does not have rain sensing wipers, only fixed interval switchable intermittent. I notice on the VW website configurator that once matrix headlights are selected the rain sensor and auto dimming rear view mirror become crossed out. The dealer thinks that the car should have rain sensing wipers and has been incorrectly built. Anybody with a similar car confirm this either way.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 2024 Model Year Polo R Line

Post by SRGTD »

That’s interesting…………..and strange (and disappointing).

It’s not unknown for the selection of certain options to result in the deletion of items of standard equipment if there are compatibility issues between the options and (deleted) standard equipment items. However, I doubt that’s the case with the Matrix LED headlamps and rain sensing wipers / auto dimming mirror as the Polo GTI has all of these three items as part of its standard equipment. So it does sound as if your car might have been a misbuild (and misbuilds do occasionally happen) unless it’s a deliberate cost cutting measure by VW with 2024 MY cars when the standard LED headlamps are upgraded to optional Matrix LED’s.

Is the dealer going to establish for certain what’s happened? - I hope so, and I’d be pushing for them to do this. If it turns out your car has been misbuilt, then I’d hope that VW would compensate you as the list price of the car you bought reflected the inclusion of rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirror as part of the standard equipment. It might be possible for the dealer to retro-fit the missing items; however, sometimes it’s not possible to do this - e.g. if the car would require an entirely different wiring loom to support the missing items (unlikely?). If retro-fitting isn’t an option, then I’d certainly be pushing VW for some form of recompense - e.g. free service plan, extended warranty, or if you’re buying on PCP, reduced PCP payments or some free payment months.

Please keep this discussion thread updated with developments for the benefit of other forum members, in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar position.

Good luck with getting this resolved 🤞 - hopefully with an outcome you’re happy with.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I checked the VW configurator here in South Africa and it seems the vehicle retains the rain sensor as standard equipment if the client opts for matrix LED. The website however seems to have the Polo R Line equipped with the GTI red stripe on the grille but suspect this is a glitch.

Code: Select all

https://www.vw.co.za/en/configurator.html/__app/new-polo/r-line.app?---=%7B%22configuration-step-navigation-service%22%3A%22%2F%3FconfigStep%3D%257B%2522context%2522%253A%252230205-32110-R-Line%2522%252C%2522selectedStep%2522%253A%2522summary%2522%257D%22%7D&carlineId-app=30205&modelId-app=AE15KZ&modelVersion-app=1&modelYear-app=2024&salesGroupId-app=32110&category-app=private&trimName-app=R-Line&exteriorId-app=F14+0Q0Q&interiorId-app=F56+++++WS&options-app=GPJAPJA-GPXAPXA-GW77W77-GW96W96&buildabilityStatus-app=unknown
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:50 am I checked the VW configurator here in South Africa and it seems the vehicle retains the rain sensor as standard equipment if the client opts for matrix LED. The website however seems to have the Polo R Line equipped with the GTI red stripe on the grille but suspect this is a glitch.

Code: Select all

https://www.vw.co.za/en/configurator.html/__app/new-polo/r-line.app?---=%7B%22configuration-step-navigation-service%22%3A%22%2F%3FconfigStep%3D%257B%2522context%2522%253A%252230205-32110-R-Line%2522%252C%2522selectedStep%2522%253A%2522summary%2522%257D%22%7D&carlineId-app=30205&modelId-app=AE15KZ&modelVersion-app=1&modelYear-app=2024&salesGroupId-app=32110&category-app=private&trimName-app=R-Line&exteriorId-app=F14+0Q0Q&interiorId-app=F56+++++WS&options-app=GPJAPJA-GPXAPXA-GW77W77-GW96W96&buildabilityStatus-app=unknown
I suspect the configurator on VWUK’s website is incorrect and @Glyn Jones car is a misbuild. As said, misbuilds do happen; the first batch of UK spec mk7.5 facelift Golf GTI’s and GTD’s were all built without front fog lights which they should have had.

Based on VW’s past history with the configurator on VWUK’s website (and brochure content when they produced brochures), there are often errors and inconsistencies. I’ve used the configurator in the past and a car I was ‘building’ had a large black hole where the gear lever / gear selector should have been and the wrong steering wheel was shown for the model being configured.

I can remember there was lots of discussion on this forum about the optional winter pack content for the Polo when the AW model Polo was launched back in 2017/2018. The brochure at the time incorrectly stated the winter pack included headlamp washers - and I think heated washer jets too. However, in photos on VW’s website of actual cars being advertised for sale at VW dealerships as having the winter pack, there were no ‘tell tale’ pop up covers in the front bumper to conceal the headlamp washers if they (i e. headlamp washers) had been fitted. I contacted VWCS for clarification, but they just recited the incorrect brochure content to me. Needless to say, the winter pack didn’t include headlamp washers - I can’t be certain but I don’t think it included heated windscreen washer jets either. It took quite a few months before VW corrected the brochure content though …..🤔.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I own a 2023 Polo R-Line with Matrix LED headlights, advanced driver assistance, and a rearview camera. I can confirm that my car is equipped with automatic rain-sensing wipers and a rear dimming rearview mirror. Considering this, it's possible that there has been a recent update in specifications by VW, or there might be an error in the build of the 2024 model mentioned.

I also have the heated washer jets as I specced the winter pack. They are still not that great when the window is fully iced up and you end up using a lot of the washer fluid to melt the ice. The heated windscreen option is the best option but they don’t have that for the Polo.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

The heated jets are just so they do not freeze.
They do not heat up the washer fluids
Polo 26
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Polo 26 »

I can state with certainty that on the Polo GTI here in Italy the automatic windshield wipers and the self-dimming mirror are optional
Polo 26
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Polo 26 »

here the optional
Attachments
Screenshot_20231214_104207_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_104207_Chrome.jpg (397.34 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Glyn Jones
New
Drives: 2024 model year Polo R Line

Post by Glyn Jones »

As an update - car is booked in with our local dealer for next Tuesday for diagnostics but not for any remedial work at this stage. I will update this thread when I get any more information.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:17 pm
I also have the heated washer jets as I specced the winter pack. They are still not that great when the window is fully iced up and you end up using a lot of the washer fluid to melt the ice. The heated windscreen option is the best option but they don’t have that for the Polo.
apologies for interjecting..

You just made me think... i have never had a car with 'front' heated windscreen... but I do remember having an old Mini.. around 1979 (Yes I'm old) and wait for it: buying a kit to make a non heated rear window, heated... it was basically individual self adhesive conductive strips (1mm wide, you placed on a very clean glass surface and some very basic wiring (pos to neg) and a switch with a light. it worked!

You could clean the windows easily and safely after you have fixed the elements with the initial first heat.

Not even sure you can get this stuff now but why wouldn't it work?.. You had to be very careful lining up individual elements so it all looked parallel..

I just did a quick search and.. nothing so far.. will keep looking.. too cheap an idea and a likely low take up, I expect.
Wow.. trip down memory lane :) it's like time travel

De-icing the front screen is a pain as after clearing it can easily ice up after you start driving again.. definitely look into this ; Thanks
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:48 pm

You just made me think... i have never had a car with 'front' heated windscreen... but I do remember having an old Mini.. around 1979 (Yes I'm old) and wait for it: buying a kit to make a non heated rear window, heated... it was basically individual self adhesive conductive strips (1mm wide, you placed on a very clean glass surface and some very basic wiring (pos to neg) and a switch with a light. it worked!

You could clean the windows easily and safely after you have fixed the elements with the initial first heat.

Not even sure you can get this stuff now but why wouldn't it work?.. You had to be very careful lining up individual elements so it all looked parallel..

De-icing the front screen is a pain as after clearing it can easily ice up after you start driving again.. definitely look into this ; Thanks
I’ll also apologise for continuing with the off topic theme…… 😳

I can remember the early Smiths DIY aftermarket rear screen heating elements - I helped my father fit one to his car back in the 1970’s. I think they pre-dated the one you’ve referred as the heating element strips were much wider than 1 mm, but from memory, the one in my farther’s car was pretty effective - it was one of these;

IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

I can also remember seeing the clear plastic anti misting panels that pre-dated the above on the rear screens of some 1960’s / 1970’s cars. The panel stuck to the inside of the rear screen was meant to act like double glazing with the trapped air between the plastic and the screen - in theory stopping (or reducing) misting up. I don’t know if they worked though 🤔.

IMG_0431.jpeg
IMG_0431.jpeg (17.32 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:20 pm
grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:48 pm

I’ll also apologise for continuing with the off topic theme…… 😳

I can remember the early Smiths DIY aftermarket rear screen heating elements - I helped my father fit one to his car back in the 1970’s. I think they pre-dated the one you’ve referred as the heating element strips were much wider than 1 mm, but from memory, the one in my farther’s car was pretty effective - it was one of these;

IMG_0430.jpeg

I can also remember seeing the clear plastic anti misting panels that pre-dated the above on the rear screens of some 1960’s / 1970’s cars. The panel stuck to the inside of the rear screen was meant to act like double glazing with the trapped air between the plastic and the screen - in theory stopping (or reducing) misting up. I don’t know if they worked though 🤔.

IMG_0431.jpeg
OMG! (and apology 2) I' remember both of those things .. now.. B reg mini.. Dad had one of them.. sliding front door windows!

and front heated windows are still not standard! ps a work colleague had a brand new Polo Classic. it came with no radio as the blurb apparently stated that they didn'r want to force an optionon the buyer.. LOL