Att: Ciclo... not sure where to put this....

A section of the forum for members to show off their non-polo vehicles.
Mookistar
New
Drives: Passat GTE

Att: Ciclo... not sure where to put this....

Post by Mookistar »

Hi Ciclo,
I hope you don't mind the post, I can't PM. I've been speaking with Michel a lot recently as he has helped me with my 2020 Passat Retrofits. I am trying to retrofit a heated MFSW but cannot get the heating working. Wiring is fine. Coding is fine (all MFSW buttons work) but pressing heating throws an error on the dash and in ODIS. Capacitive touch for Travel assist works fine.

ERROR
C2803 [796675] B153804
Steering wheel heating, faulty (Schaltermodul Lenksäule (SMLS ->Lenkradheizung defekt)

One thing I noticed was I don't have "Multifunction steering wheel extended adaption". I also noticed on other cars "steering wheel heater button" is not activated, which makes me think the control comes from this adaptation.

I wonder if you knew? And in light of it missing, what the fix might be? I saw your post here - viewtopic.php?t=72376&start=585&fbclid= ... uYDjxTf46s - in which you flash to obtain this adaptation - Michel speaks very highly of you, hopefully you recognise the issue as we are stuck.

Many thanks

Mike
Mookistar
New

Re: Att: Ciclo... not sure where to put this....

Post by Mookistar »

Or perhaps anyone else knows the relevance of this adaptation?
patil
Silver Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

Hi Mike welcome !

Can you please share more details. Slipring part number, VCDS autoscan etc. If you can also share Odis scan will be helpful. From the available information, either incompatible slipring is installed or there is some issue with coding/ adaptations of concerned modules.
Thank you.
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

Thanks for the reply

Wheel is 3G0419089EK
Spring is 5q1953569c

I’ll try to attach the scan.

In the FL GTE the slipring is coded in the gateway. As I say everything works perfectly.

Gateway is:
Software number
3Q0907530AD

Software version

Hardware number
3Q0907530D

Hardware version

There are two things I’m not clear on. The ‘rim configuration’ in the mfsw extended adaptation (which I am missing), and the heated steering wheel type in 08 hvac. I selected Gen 2 LRH as I assume ‘reserved’ means no heat

The wheel, just to be clear, has buttons not touch controls.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

ODIS scans are here - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link - I'm not sure where I was in my fiddling with the coding so heated wheel options might be off, but it's anything that isn't obvious that I'm lost on.

Cheers

Mike
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Thank you for the scan. Did you change just the slipring or whole steering combination switch with slipring ?
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

Just the ring. On the FL you can only buy the whole assembly from VW but I got just the ring and coded it.
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

To add. When coded a button appears in the HVAC menu screen. Pressing that also gives the heated wheel error.

In case the coding isnt showing.

There’s two adaptations in gateway.
heated steering wheel Active
Temperature sensor active

And in HVAC coding.
Heated steering wheel button
Multistage heat levels
Auto activation (which I’m not fussed about)
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

I'm so stuck, so just sharing observations.

I have adjusted the 5 coding/adaptations in various combinations. It seem's FL models WITH the extended adaptation, have the Heating button turned off. Speaking with Michel he has it on, but has multi-stage turned off. His is Pre-FL

So fiddled with those, no changes.

The "biggest" change is switching the heated wheel type back to Reserved. this removed the "button" from the HVAC menu (expected behaviour for an FL by all accounts), This also triggers the heated steering error as soon as the ignition is turned on... and again if the wheel button pressed.

I then got sent a scan from a 2020 Btdi, with heated wheel. No extended Adaptation. Heater button OFF, Multistage ON and most interestingly, in HVAC Heated steering wheel type "LRG Gen2 with Mod Longpush"

So applied all those elements... same error.

I have a spare Squib which I can fit but I really want to rule out coding in case it's not needed and I can return it. I feel like I'm coming to the end of that path....
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

What is the part number of your slipring installed from factory? And also part number of combi switch. I am no expert, but somehow I feel the slipring you've installed may not be the correct one.
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

I got it working!!!!

I found a 2020 model with heated wheel OBD scan and copied that coding/adaptations. Still, ERROR.

So swapped out the clockspring with my replacement.

The car came with 5q1953569 from the factory. Suffix B or C is heated so I originally found the same part number suffix C. Manufacture date of the part was 2018.

When I fitted this spring I had to code the ACC elements in the SMLS Konfig 2, which was to be expected as it came from a different model car. Once coded everything worked perfectly aside the heat.

I found the first spring using this sheet.

so used it again to find alternatives

I can see which models have heat an. I then located a 5q1953569F which had a manufacture date of 2022. Once connected It worked without any Konfig needing changing (it came form a Passat so would have travel assist as standard).

Press the heating button and glory glory it worked.

So I don't know if it was software/hardware in the spring or a faulty spring, but it works.

In case anyone else ever sees this.

It's a 2020 car with push button HVAC panel.

In Gateway you need

Temp sensor - installed.

Heater button - NOT active

In HVAC coding

Heated wheel - installed

Heater levels - Multi stage

Heated wheel type - LRG Gen2 with Mod Longpush

What a mission!! Thanks for the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Mike
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Mookistar wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:09 pm

I can see which models have heat an. I then located a 5q1953569F which had a manufacture date of 2022. Once connected It worked without any Konfig needing changing (it came form a Passat so would have travel assist as standard).

Congratulations!

So the C slipring didn't work right? You changed it to F and it worked.

And Happy New Year 🎇
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

Exactly. The C was apparently New. The F used.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I don't know why but I missed this thread, I guess it was because of the holidays. I'm sorry.🙏
Fortunately my dear Doctor was more attentive than me.

Congratulations on finding the solution for your heated steering wheel, thank you so much for sharing it!👍
It's interesting to know that you only installed the ring (finally the F) with the original stalks. I guess they (ring and stalks) don't have the same SW/HW? and yet it is compatible... ?

I bought 2 complete sets of rings/stalks (SMLS), in both cases ring and stalks have the same SW/HW (although different reference for stalks), one for a heated steering wheel without TA and another for a heated steering wheel with TA.

What I did to install the heated steering wheel on the G7.5 is 'everything' explained in my thread, from here... :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=587667#p587667 ...in alternating posts as the installations/coding/adaptations progressed.
Everything works perfectly, with any type of steering wheel, without faults in the intercommunications of the units.

The Gateway software update to the 'AR' version was to get the extended multifunction steering wheel adaptation so that everything would work correctly with wheels with KLR '5H0' units (not your case - KLR 3G0).
This extended adaptation for multifunction steering wheel is available from the AL version. I'm not sure/don't remember if it's also in the AG version, I think I saw a reading in which this adaptation was also included.
The problem 'was' that the TA stopped working when pressing the heated steering wheel and logically faults were generated in the diagnosis due to the malfunction (related to KLR unit).

I think I read in some forum that there is now a new conflict in the SK Octavia steering wheels when carrying out this type of retrofitting ...and supposedly updating the GW does not solve the conflict.🤷‍♂️
Mookistar
New

Post by Mookistar »

Thanks Ciclo,
I am still at a loss as to the cause, so have to assume it was SW/HW related. Being a bit of a pioneer with Facelift retrofits there was a lot of fumbling and many a desperate text to Michel :lol:

This is the original unit (I can't host to place inline)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R_ek64 ... drive_link,

My thinking was replace the spring with the same model (bar suffix), and same SW and HW versions. This is what I acquired.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13pM7dq ... drive_link

but upon installing it was clear the car it came from didn't have Travel assist, and had the extra stalk etc. Even so, coding made all those elements work correctly.

But the heat would not work, I tried everything but kept getting the error, so opted for this spring (which I separated from the stalks) with no scientific reason bar it "could" be faulty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Yonhs ... drive_link

As you can see, it's running a totally different SW/HW and has a much later manufacture date.

It also came from a Passat whereas spring 1 came from an Octavia.

The travel assist was already coded, but I did need to code the stalk button. Heater worked straight away.

I don't know if the spring I had was faulty (Tempted to open it up) but it could well be the whole Facelift thing.

Ultimately it's working now, you're posts have been invaluable at times (like repinning the airbag plug for MFSW from 5 to 6 pin)

I'm just glad I didn't have to flash the gateway... for my own and Michels Sanity. lol

Thank you!

Mike