Something has changed with Android Auto

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Something has changed with Android Auto

Post by grazuncle2 »

main thing is my wireless connection gadget doesn't work anymore.. it worked flawlessly for quite some time and now all i get on the display is the top bar of the phone data connection bars/ time/ battery level etc and black screen.. but that is another story

this past few days on getting into the car i get a display on the instrument pod.. looking for my phone model when connected I get this; I have never seen this screen before! and now it starts up in this screen every time I put the ignition on.
Screenshot 2024-01-10 125740.png
Screenshot 2024-01-10 125740.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 947 times
It was annoying because I didn't want that displayed at all.. i even accidentally got the phone calling someone as i was trying buttons to get rid of the screen .. LOL

However today when getting a bit of time.. I noticed this button on the steering wheel.. VIEW which I have also never had to use..
Screenshot 2024-01-10 130001.png
Screenshot 2024-01-10 130001.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 947 times
Well.. VIEW button only switches between MPG/AVG/Oil temp etc and phone displays but at least I know what it does now.. I'll still not use the phone view but just wish it didn't default to the phone view rather than the one it left off with.

Why it has suddenly started doing that is beyond me.. Another lesson learned!

ps I'm back to using the USB cable connection for AA now which is a pain after the luxury of just getting into the car and driving with AA if I wanted to use it... perhaps there is an update for the wireless device?
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Re: Something has changed with Android Auto

Post by grazuncle2 »

ps

I'm also wondering why the car is looking for my phone 'at all'... Data and Bluetooth were all off..

Another paradox :?
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Re: Something has changed with Android Auto

Post by grazuncle2 »

update on the Wireless Android Auto problem... Might help someone else..

This is the device I bought some times ago...
Screenshot 2024-01-24 134542.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 134542.png (128.73 KiB) Viewed 614 times
after getting the problem mentioned here in this post of getting phone connection message on the instrument cluster (never seen this before) and not knowing how to get it back to usual display fuel average consumption etc... It has made me re-think the Wireless Android Auto problem.

Having got some time to sit and mess with this 'once working' wireless connection I sat in the garage today just to see if I could wake this thing up properly.. It always (pic above) connected the phone to the multimedia unit without any intervention from me at all, but stopped recently and the only thing on the Multimedia display was the phone's top line. Signal strength, batt level time etc.

Anyway .. I'm sat in the seat just looking at the display and notice a settings cog.. bottom right... only two things on the Menu.. top one was Use or Do Not VW apps.. can't remember now. Anyway in desperation of not seeing anything else to try, I took the tick off (thinking I can always put the tick back) and immediately up pops the Android map screen on the display. Amazed and sceptical i turned everything off (display, ignition, phone data and Bluetooth) and back on again.. it worked wirelessly again and a third and fourth time... it hasn't worked at all for a few months now so it is 'some' coincidence.

I can't replicate the problem by ticking that menu item because it is no longer on show.. Drat! All I can say is that .. for now.. it works ok wirelessly again. I didn't tick this menu option in the past as i have never seen it and have no idea why it had any effect today.. just that it works ok now.. till something else changes with AA