Weird alloy wheel centre cap deterioration

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
noaa16
New
Drives: Polo Blue GT ACT 6C

Re: Weird alloy wheel centre cap deterioration

Post by noaa16 »

looks lke someone stole them, couldn't get the whole part out so knicked the logo's :(
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I'm sorry for this setback, you'll have to buy new ones. The center of the axle rusts very quickly.

I wonder who the hell is stupid enough to steal these used plastic cover caps... ignorance is the deepest of crimes.

The method to change them is by removing the wheels, a light touch with the handle of the hammer on the back of the cover cap and it will fall into your other hand. Very easy.
If for any reason the aluminum wheels get stuck on the axle, do not try to remove them by hitting them with any type of hammer, NEVER!!!, use WD40 in the center of the axle and wait as long as necessary for it to act... or go to a tire workshop and ask them to remove the aluminum wheels without hitting them.
Maccers
New
Drives: Polo 1.4, Mini 1293, VFR800, VFR1200

Post by Maccers »

I done all 4 on my sons, they were all badly corroded. The wheels themselves were fine. It took a lot of wrestling to get the fronts off but I wanted to give the whole wheel a clean etc. Light was against me for the rears so I just whacked an old screwdriver through it and pulled it off, was going to bin them anyway. £19 each from VW if I recall!!