Please help: TPMS light on, EEPROM malfunction, VCDS no response from controller

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
6Reeprom
New
Drives: 2014 6R

Please help: TPMS light on, EEPROM malfunction, VCDS no response from controller

Post by 6Reeprom »

Hello, I decided to make a post in this forum after exhausting most other options, if one of you could save my life “I would appreciate it” would be an understatement.

So ever since I bought my 2014 6R Polo S, I have always had the TPMS light on, the guy I bought it from did tell me it was on but it was a system issue he couldn’t fix. It had passed every MOT since then except for my most recent one where it was marked as a major fault this time. I assume previous garages had been trying to help me but a functioning TPMS is a legal requirement now and I need this fixed asap to get on the road for work

(I’m a semi newbie wrapping my head around this so forgive me if I technically say something wrong)

Issue:

My TPMS light is on due to an EEPROM malfunction (C1146F2)
DTC 00612 it also says RKA_ERROR_CODE_INVALID_V_MAPING. This is all on my basic ELM diagnostics reader and a garage’s one too.

This TPMS solid yellow light is always on, even when I change the sensors whenever they go bad, so I’m almost certain its nothing to do with sensors not being OEM. I just use standard Bosch ones and it only leaves an EEPROM malfunction as a DTC. I’m assuming this is to do with the ECU and the way the data is handled by the ABS sensors.

Recently I had a bad front left sensor which flicked up an ABS and traction control light and I changed the sensor and it went away as expected. But still an EEPROM causing the TPMS light to stay on. There is also no noise from the TPMS reset button inside my glove box but the button lights up and connector is fine. It just flicks the TPMS light off for half a second before returning. I took it to a garage where I had the voltage checked on both sides of my ABS wiring and it was fine to the sensors, and the sensors themselves are new. All the fuses are fine and checked by the garage and their diagnostics also reads EEPROM malfunction.

BUT when we plug in a VCDS (Updated and everything) into my car it says “No response from controller” on all of their VCDS options whether it is the engine or ABS or any other option. It is completely baffling me because I want someone to code this TPMS properly or make it go away somehow. When they plug in the same VCDS laptop into a VW Golf nearby (~2005) then it shows up instantly, and is able to code. But mine, no response. I get a response and connection to ECU with cheap basic diagnostics tool though, so the port is working fine, it makes no sense to me.

Other things to note are:

I do have an aftermarket radio installed and have taken it out but I cant remove the facia and get into the wiring behind it. I can only pull this radio out so I don’t know if its affecting the “K line” as other threads have mentioned.

I am also getting:
DTC 01304 CAN gateway
Cassette player; radio

+

DTC 00819 Heater and Climate
High pressure sensor-G65; High pressure sender-G65; Knock sensor 2- G66 Signal too large

On my scanner but I doubt any of these affect my connection to the VCDS as I can connect to ECU with my very cheap diagnostics tool.

What are my options? I was wondering if I can replace the ECU and this makes the EEPROM malfunction go away. Will I have to do more programming? Will it even be possible as I cant connect to VCDS? I know my port is working fine and the garage ran through pretty much every fuse in the car with a tester.

I have also done the following:

Unplugged and reconnected battery for 15+ minutes
Replaced all ABS sensors
Checked all voltages on the wires to ABS sensors
Tyres all inflated correctly

Other things to note:
I’m almost certain the guy who sold the car to me did some programming on the car, as it is showing “RKA_ERROR_CODE_INVALID_V_MAPING” if that means incorrect coding as I suspect.

The car has no antenna on the top, I unscrewed it and took it out (is this the radio DTC? Or is it the aftermarket stereo giving me the DTC?)

The car also has a reverse camera wired from the stereo unit (a passenger tugged a loose wire when getting out and it broke so doesn’t work) but I doubt this has any bearing on it as the TPMS light has been on before the camera went out.

VIN: WVWZZZ6RZEU0(XXXXX)

Please help :cry: :cry: I’m unable to upload a VCDS report due to the connection issue. What could it be? EEPROM malfunction is clearly in the computer of the car so what are my best options without selling an arm and leg?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Please help: TPMS light on, EEPROM malfunction, VCDS no response from controller

Post by iichel »

disable tpms in the long coding of the abs controller and enable it again. it will solve the error.
do you have a genuinie vcds system or a clone?
6Reeprom
New
Drives: 2014 6R

Re: Please help: TPMS light on, EEPROM malfunction, VCDS no response from controller

Post by 6Reeprom »

Thanks for the response I will try, will this not need a response from the controller though? I cannot connect to it with VCDS but I can connect to it with a cheap diagnostics tool, not sure why.

The VCDS I’m assuming is original and working because it belonged to a garage. Also as soon as they plugged it into a another VW Golf (Pre 2010 model) nearby it was working just fine
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

What you describe often happens with a cloned vcds that is updated to a newer software version. But try disabling TPMS in the abs long coding and cycle ignition. Then re-enable it (put back original coding)