Water leak into boot/rear seat

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Me9141
Getting There!

Water leak into boot/rear seat

Post by Me9141 »

Hi all,
Hope all are well.

Got a 2003 5 door Polo. Suddenly it is leaking water into the boot and rear seat base. Its all down the passenger side only.

At first, I thought it was just the washer fluid pipe which has join in the passenger side of the boot, as I could smell the washer fluid, so pulled down the carpet and reconnected the washer hose.

I cleaned and dried the seat and the boot.

But a few days later it has got wet again. No smell of washer fluid and the connection is intact.

I have checked the roof aerial base seal, which was changed a few years ago and it seems ok. There is no staining on headlining either.

I have run water over the rear passenger door seal and nothing obvious looks to be leaking.

I have had the rear passenger side light filling with water, I bought a new (Alibaba) bulb holder as the old one had corroded, but it was not any good and it filled with water again, so bought a used (original) rear light and it still did the same thing. So, I drilled a few holes in the bottom of the light.

Anybody had a similar issue or know what else I could investigate?
Any help is appreciated.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Water leak into boot/rear seat

Post by Maarten »

Much of these problems come from the taillights or third brakelight.
You could also check the doors inner panel, sometimes the seal becomes porous and lets rainwater in the interior
Me9141
Getting There!

Post by Me9141 »

Thank you.

I'll take a look in the next couple of days.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

How much water is entering the cabin? The only 'large flood' I experienced was through the rear wiper fitting but that is nowhere near your wet patch?