EA211 Oil Catch can

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: EA211 Oil Catch can

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:59 pm
Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:22 pm No problemo, my english is not perfect :shock:
Well if I eyesight didn't suck so bad right now then maybe I would've read that detail in the lower right of the document above.
Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:22 pm So now I need to monitor the boost pressure needed to open the valve on turbo side. I have a vacuum pump (normally for coolant system) but could be adapted on the hose between the head of the engine, and the turbo.
Would be interesting to know.

Does this not just operate on vacuum only?
Turbo side operates on vacuum only, but I want to know how vacuum it needs to open
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Just to check on something.
When at manifold vacuum, gases drawn in at manifold valve from oil separator, the channel between oil separator and turbo inlet will be evacuated up to the now closed valve at the turbo.
In this case, the catch can between cylinder head and turbo will have vacuum and no flow through it, correct?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:44 pm Just to check on something.
When at manifold vacuum, gases drawn in at manifold valve from oil separator, the channel between oil separator and turbo inlet will be evacuated up to the now closed valve at the turbo.
In this case, the catch can between cylinder head and turbo will have vacuum and no flow through it, correct?
It's possible like a small vacuum is created but not 100% sure because the valve on the intake will be open
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:55 pm It's possible like a small vacuum is created but not 100% sure because the valve on the intake will be open
It will have a small amount. The valve on the intake will be pulling from it when open.

I see where I have gone wrong in my thinking with venting the oil separator. Don't have to reroute the piping; it is already connected to the top port.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:06 pm
Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:55 pm It's possible like a small vacuum is created but not 100% sure because the valve on the intake will be open
It will have a small amount. The valve on the intake will be pulling from it when open.

I see where I have gone wrong in my thinking with venting the oil separator. Don't have to reroute the piping; it is already connected to the top port.
The PCV has a hose connected to the intake manifold and inside the PVC, you have built-in hole that goes trough the engine to the top of the head :wink:
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm The PCV has a hose connected to the intake manifold and inside the PVC, you have built-in hole that goes trough the engine to the top of the head :wink:
Yip. That's the part I was missing in my initial thinking, hence considering hooking up the oil separator hose to the catch can. But that internal channel kinda does that already. Learning as I go.

Which catch cans have you been looking at?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

I will consider catch can on Amazon.
I don't want to spend to much money.

So maybe between 25-35 euros.

Mishimoto product are the same as chiness one but 3x more expensive
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Cool. Some of these catch cans go mental on price. US$600+!

I will try and order a Provent200 clone off aliexpress when I have funds. Cheapest way to test fitment ideas.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

Way to expensive.

I just wait the new hose to see what is the inner diameter I would need for the future hoses between the catch can and the connectors
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I'll see if I have time this evening to pop that hose off and measure.
I can't recall what I measured before, but I was looking into Normaquick V2 NW8 and NW12 which would be 8mm and 12mm ID hoses.
Will try and confirm with measurement.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

New foam hose received:
PXL_20240226_151216567.jpg
PXL_20240226_151216567.jpg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 896 times
The non return valve on the turbo side (right connector) is very very, very sensitive.
I mean, I just blown a little bit with my mouth on the other side, it opened directly.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I suspected it would be. It opens based on the difference in vacuum between inlet manifold and turbo side.

The question is, which sides runs more vacuum most of the time?
I have a feeling it is the turbo side that has more vacuum than the inlet manifold until the throttle is fully closed. If that's the case then your theory of it pulling the crank cases mostly through the turbo is spot on. But also think those 2 valves are going to be flip-flopping all the time.

If you can get a vacuum signal off the turbo inlet, and then one off the intake, into a gauge with 2 ports then I suspect that gauge would lean towards the turbo side.
If you fine with electronics, then you can even try a DPF exhaust sensor gauge.

I have ECS intake arriving next week. No idea if it'll fit, but, hey, it was free (kinda).
It has port on the intake side:
1653398_x800.jpg
1653398_x800.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 889 times
PS: Nice Ducky :D
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:12 pm I suspected it would be. It opens based on the difference in vacuum between inlet manifold and turbo side.

The question is, which sides runs more vacuum most of the time?
I have a feeling it is the turbo side that has more vacuum than the inlet manifold until the throttle is fully closed. If that's the case then your theory of it pulling the crank cases mostly through the turbo is spot on. But also think those 2 valves are going to be flip-flopping all the time.

If you can get a vacuum signal off the turbo inlet, and then one off the intake, into a gauge with 2 ports then I suspect that gauge would lean towards the turbo side.
If you fine with electronics, then you can even try a DPF exhaust sensor gauge.

I have ECS intake arriving next week. No idea if it'll fit, but, hey, it was free (kinda).
It has port on the intake side:

1653398_x800.jpg

PS: Nice Ducky :D
To be honest, I don't know. But each time I removed the pipe from turbo to intake manifold, this one is full of oil. So to me, turbo side is the issue.

Nice intake, you want so power upgrade to your engine ?

Before:
PXL_20240228_125632473.jpg
PXL_20240228_125632473.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 784 times
After:
429808806_364508369736179_6984392275769002795_n.jpg
429808806_364508369736179_6984392275769002795_n.jpg (196.3 KiB) Viewed 784 times
The car feels soooooo much better. More torque, more power: more smooth.
With my VCDS I reset auto adaptative value of the injectors, recalibrated lambda sensors etc....

But yeah, I have the feeling to have a brand news car.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

That looks brand new. :D

That's the same feeling I had after running CRC GDI Cleaner through it and driving for a few days.
I would recommend running that stuff through intake at every service even with catch can. I might help clean those valves clean.

As for ECS intake, no not looking for power upgrade right now.
Just have had that intake on my wishlist for a while and opportunity came up to get it now and pay later. My sister coming from the States and she insisted on getting it.
I've scored lucky with "gifts" this past month.

Would love to have a hybrid 1.4/1.2 turbo. I've seen someone making 140+KW and 380Nm with it on the 1.2TSI.
But for the money and that output you just better off getting the GTI. :D
The GTI will survive longer too (bigger capacity) and use way less fuel for that power in the 1.2. Most of the fuel going in that 1.2TSI setup was trying to tame knock and temperatures.

I don't need GTi power, but I'd reckon 100KW with 250+Nm and more throttle response would be perfect for this machine.
Remap will get there, but a hybrid turbo will help a lot.
Wish I had the money for a JB4.

Have intake planned with a certain BOV I picked up last year off eBay, but that's going to take a while to put together.
Not sure if it'll mess with the crank venting system.
Would prefer to get all this oil nonsense sorted before messing with anything like that.

My problem is ... I can never leave a car as it is. I have to fix or fiddle with it myself.
Maybe that's why they all break. :D
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:26 pm That looks brand new. :D

That's the same feeling I had after running CRC GDI Cleaner through it and driving for a few days.
I would recommend running that stuff through intake at every service even with catch can. I might help clean those valves clean.

As for ECS intake, no not looking for power upgrade right now.
Just have had that intake on my wishlist for a while and opportunity came up to get it now and pay later. My sister coming from the States and she insisted on getting it.
I've scored lucky with "gifts" this past month.

Would love to have a hybrid 1.4/1.2 turbo. I've seen someone making 140+KW and 380Nm with it on the 1.2TSI.
But for the money and that output you just better off getting the GTI. :D
The GTI will survive longer too (bigger capacity) and use way less fuel for that power in the 1.2. Most of the fuel going in that 1.2TSI setup was trying to tame knock and temperatures.

I don't need GTi power, but I'd reckon 100KW with 250+Nm and more throttle response would be perfect for this machine.
Remap will get there, but a hybrid turbo will help a lot.
Wish I had the money for a JB4.

Have intake planned with a certain BOV I picked up last year off eBay, but that's going to take a while to put together.
Would prefer to get all this oil nonsense sorted before messing with anything like that.

My problem is ... I can never leave a car as it is. I have to fix or fiddle with it myself.
Maybe that's why they all break. :D
It's brand new haha
Engine feels sooo much better. More torque, more horsepower.
Cold start is smooth as f**k.

Concerning CRC GDI, I'm nut sure about this kind of product. I'm not a great fan of spray cleaner etc...I prefer to remove everything and clean everything manually.

Some people like to tune this engine, seems quite strong compared of it size.
But yeah, a GTI (I'm looking for for the next year) would be a better solution. Same car, with a decent engine (1.8 tsi) and reliable.

What do you mean by "Have intake planned with a certain BOV I picked up last year off eBay, but that's going to take a while to put together.
Would prefer to get all this oil nonsense sorted before messing with anything like that." ?

Agree with you, there is always something to upgrade/modify. At least, on VW :P