Vw polo 3 variant 1.4 -01

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Sondells
New
Drives: Classic variant

Vw polo 3 variant 1.4 -01

Post by Sondells »

Is my car done? Or is it possible to save it?

So i was driving yesterday and suddenly lost power. Pulled over and restarted the car. Now it had an extreme knocking noise. Towed it home and now i have removed oil pan and there i found out that one of the connection rod had broken of...
Attachments
20240220_121507.jpg
20240220_121507.jpg (7.46 MiB) Viewed 463 times
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Re: Vw polo 3 variant 1.4 -01

Post by JUUL »

Ouch! Judging from just 1 picture....I would say it's done. A rod doesn't just break, there has to be an reason for this. It can be practically anything from factory faulty part(s) to oil starvation. Pieces of broken metal have probably travelled through your entire oil system as well, they can probably be found anywhere where oil is supplied to you engine. So if you want to know if your block is salvageable, you'd probably have to take it all apart from top to bottom and clean and examine eacht part. But to be brutally honest...I don't think it's salvageable. Nevertheless, I can also see some sludge (caramel like substance) at the bottom of your oilpan, this is most likely related to headgasket problems. That's an issue that has to be considered as well.

If you want to keep the car the best, fastest and cheapest option would be to fit a replacement engine and scrap this one. If you have the means to do this yourself, then it's going to be very cheap as well. Let's be honest, it's not a rare engine worth saving and these 1.4's were fitted all throughout the VAG brand. It shouldn't be that hard or expensive to find a replacement. Good luck bud!
Sondells
New
Drives: Classic variant

Post by Sondells »

Hey!
Thank you for your time to reply!
Im going to get a new engine for my "lover". I have never done that by myself so any tip is appreciated!

First question is
This is an APE enginge. I have searched for other enginges and cant find any APE. However i do find other similiar. Will that work or does it have to be an APE?
Thank you
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Post by JUUL »

No problem, just sharing my view on the subject. One would say that all these engines are equal, but there might be slight changes made over the years. I cannot guarantee another engine is a straight fit. You might have to change some components, sensors or connectors or it might just be plug and play. I guess you'd have to research what the differences are between the two.

If you are handy and have the right tools, you could do an engine swap by yourself....but a bit of help from some mates would be very usefull. You just need to label everything that gets taken off so you know how to put it back together. Taking pictures of connectors and parts can be very usefull if you have doubts. Take as many pictures as you wish from different angles, you can always delete them later. There is nothing more stressfull than trying to put something back together and not having a picture with the right angle.

I've swapped a few engines myself, so if you need any insight....give me a shout. I would gladly try and support you as much as I can. Check out my thread for reference :mrgreen:

P.S: If you are going to swap your engine, it would be very smart to service the new engine while it's still out of the car. Timing belt, waterpump, oil pickup, oil filter, sprakplugs and so on...