Reverse lights stay on??

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
moeyrline
New
Drives: 2014 R-line

Reverse lights stay on??

Post by moeyrline »

Hey guys , so recently i had my reverse light sensor changed because they wouldnt turn on when engaging Reverse gear.

I also had the harness itself changed where i cut it off from another polo and soldered it on.

Now when i turn the car on , no matter what gear it's in , the reverse light is always on and the parking sensors are on the screen even when i get to gear 5.

Does anyone know how i could go about fixing this? T hanks
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: Reverse lights stay on??

Post by Le_Combattant »

Maybye your rerverse switch on the gearbox. Can be faulty.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

First of all, what is the result if you leave the switch cable unplugged, if yes then. next step.

If the reversing lights stay off, then with the switch off the car, plug in the switch, is the result lights still off, if so, can you compress the switch until the reversing light comes on, if yes, then next step.

Try screwing the reversing switch in until it "makes" when the gear stick is in reverse.

Edit:- maybe the gearbox switch has a neutral position indicator and it has failed, does the dashboard give a correct indication of "selected gear" when driving along the road?
moeyrline
New

Post by moeyrline »

Le_Combattant wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm Maybye your rerverse switch on the gearbox. Can be faulty.
As i stated, the reverse switch was changed along with the harness. So it couldnt be either
moeyrline
New

Post by moeyrline »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 pm First of all, what is the result if you leave the switch cable unplugged, if yes then. next step.

If the reversing lights stay off, then with the switch off the car, plug in the switch, is the result lights still off, if so, can you compress the switch until the reversing light comes on, if yes, then next step.

Try screwing the reversing switch in until it "makes" when the gear stick is in reverse.

Edit:- maybe the gearbox switch has a neutral position indicator and it has failed, does the dashboard give a correct indication of "selected gear" when driving along the road?
The car does not have a gear display on dash.

And im not sure if the car has a neutral switch
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That is inconvenient if it does not have a "gear selected" displayed on the dash, as that could have helped a bit in your diagnosis, so I'd doubt if it has any other switches on the gearbox other than the reverse switch.

Mind you maybe none of the cars even newer ones have a neutral switch as they need the clutch to be pressed down to enable starting so it doesn't matter if the car is in any gear.

The displayed "gear selected" gets derived from engine revs and road speed.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Le_Combattant wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm Maybye your rerverse switch on the gearbox. Can be faulty.
The OP doesn’t state if it’s a new or used switch but that would be my first guess,the switch is either faulty or it’s the wrong one for that gearbox
moeyrline
New

Post by moeyrline »

CarbonChaos wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:46 pm
The OP doesn’t state if it’s a new or used switch but that would be my first guess,the switch is either faulty or it’s the wrong one for that gearbox
i figured out the solution , it was infact the reverse switch however when the mechanic wired up the new harness , he did not seperate the two wires instead he taped them together and they were touching with eachother , making the car think it was recieving a signal that it was in reverse.

Thanks for your help figuring out a solution
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I hope that he didn't consider himself to be a mechanic, not good!