2018+ GTI / R-line side skirt removal?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

2018+ GTI / R-line side skirt removal?

Post by ad_182_uk »

Hello - how do the side skirts on the AW variant get attached / unattached from the car?

Is it 2 torx 1 bolt and then slide it off?

I am planning on having them sprayed gloss black.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 2018+ GTI / R-line side skirt removal?

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 pm Hello - how do the side skirts on the AW variant get attached / unattached from the car?

Is it 2 torx 1 bolt and then slide it off?

I am planning on having them sprayed gloss black.
I’m not sure of the number - or exact location - of the fixings but I think there’s one or two on the underside of the side skirt, plus the visible one on the front edge of the skirt that screws into the leading edge of the metal sill behind the front wheel.

I’d expect removal of those fixings would enable you to slide the side skirt to slide towards the front of the car and then lift the skirt away from the car’s sill.

I know there are special paints specifically designed for spraying plastics and correct prep of the plastic side skirt prior to painting will be essential for the paint to bond to the plastic, but isn’t there a risk of the paint coming off the front and underside sections of the side skirt that are continually bombarded by road debris flicked up by the tyres?

Will you also be getting the plastic parts painted that are circled in the pictures below? If not, then the side skirts will no longer match the matte black textured plastic parts at the front and back of the car.
IMG_0506.jpeg
IMG_0506.jpeg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 214 times
IMG_0509.jpeg
IMG_0509.jpeg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 214 times
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Re: 2018+ GTI / R-line side skirt removal?

Post by ad_182_uk »

Hi.

So I did consider the stone chip issue but I am pretty sure the Golf R has gloss black skirts so assumed it would not be such an issue. Plus I have a small amount of clear PPF which will be applied to the most exposed part in the front wheel arch.

As for it matching other areas, I have different front and rear trims which are already gloss black, so it is actually the side skirts which are the odd ones out.

Someone sent me this diagram. Looks like one screw.