headlight adjustment seized

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

headlight adjustment seized

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi All

What is the best way to free headland adjuts on both my sons vw2002 polo
failed MOT due to headlamps high

gargae said they are seized
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: headlight adjustment seized

Post by Maarten »

Probably change the motors on the units.
Are both sides seized?
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Post by scotspie501 »

these manual adjustments

found the issue,one side you can adjust other side broken adjustment ,sheared off

new headlight ordered

thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

When my "bought new" 2000 VW Passat 4Motion went into my local dealership for its 1st MOT, they noticed that it needed one of the head lights adjusting - and then promptly broke the adjuster!.

So that meant a few days delay to order in a new "empty" head light assembly, then an hour of so of swopping all the expensive bits over, that job cost quite a bit back in May 2003 - and it annoyed me quite a bit!

After checking over the other side, it noticed that it had rusted up a bit so cleaned it up and lub'd it. I came to the conclusion that the tester must have given the adjuster a quick rough tweek instead of a gentle slow twist until the stiction and rust had been worked a bit, yes very annoying on a first MOT for me, as I had done a personal import, UK dealers are or were trained to be as nasty as possible when handling these cars, it always got comments about unbonnet stickers missing but when quizzed no answers were given!

If your car's adjustment was the same, and I'd reckon that it is, the nylon worm screw part is moulded onto the "not very well rustproofed" shaft, so when the shaft does not want to rotate the next connected element, then something has to give and it is the nylon/plastic moulded part!!