Speedo on my Mk2 Polo

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
The G Man
Getting There!

Speedo on my Mk2 Polo

Post by The G Man »

The speedo on my Mk2 Polo frequently sticks at 0 mph and I have to tap the dashboard to get the pointer to move. It's also been cleaned with something that has reacted with the plastic cover and looks 'steamed up' in one corner. Am thinking about changing the speedo but have a questions:

The Mk2 I previously owned had a speedo on the left, temp gauge and petrol gauge in the middle (along with the LED warning lights) and a clock on the right. My current Mk2 Polo has a speedo on the left, the LED lights in the middle and my temp gauge/petrol gauge on the right. If I bought one with a clock on the right (there's one on ebay at the moment that's off an '83 Polo) would it fit my Polo. Are they a standard shape/fit or would it have to be from a Polo from a specific year? Also, is it possible to get one that shows revs? Would be happy with a clock on the right but would prefer a rev counter.

Cheers

:)
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

You can get a set a Mark1 Golf GTi clocks to work (they have a rev counter). I know nothing on wiring them up, or how to adapt them, so I will point you in the direction of Groovy or madmatt.

Karl.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

or you could just get some coupe S clocks that also have a rev counter. With these you get a digital clock too and the fuel gauge gets moved across to underneath the rev counter - Which is huge! :D Also theres no messing about with wiring, its just a straight swap. 8)
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Oh yeah! I forgot about those :lol:

Karl.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

You can fit any mk2 dash cluster, it'll just plug in and go. However, if you want to keep your mileage and avoid hassle with the DVLA you'll want to take your existing speedo unit out, give it a bit of WD40 to stop the needle sticking, and bolt it down into the new housing (it just pulls out and bolts in again, it's a bit like playing with lego ;) ) If you're after a rev counter, I'll have a set of mk1/early mk2 golf clocks for sale soon, probably end of next week, they fit perfectly :) Only thing is you might want to change the full beam LED as the one I have at the moment is dazzlingly bright.. again, just a case of pull old one out, plug new one in :) Otherwise, any set of clocks from a mk1 golf, mk1 polo, early mk2 golf (make sure the dials are square rather than the later round type), mk1 jetta and I believe mk1 scirrocco will fit.

Let me know if you need any more advise, I seem to have had the dash cluster apart a thousand times now...
The G Man
Getting There!

Post by The G Man »

Just let me know how much you want for the clocks – I’ll definitely buy them from you.

Went the other scrappy I know yesterday – Got totally drowned as the heavens opened whilst I there. They had 5 Polo’s and guess how many had a four lamp grill? None!!! BOO HOO!!! I was gutted mate. All I came away with was muddy pants, dirty shoes and one of those wire things for my seat (The cable for the leaver that allows you to pull the seat forward)

Oh well, just let me know when you’re selling those clocks – cheers,

Andy. :)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

My new speedometer cable (and handbrake cable, I've been having fun without that for the last few days..) has just arrived, so I'll be taking the clocks out tonight. Mk3 GT clocks seem to go for about £20.. how does £15 inc postage strike you?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

This is a bit embarrassing.. I have just broken both sets of clocks.. one's semi functional which I really need in my car until I can fix/replace it, the other's pretty much dead :evil: Damn my fiddling...
I'll be on the lookout for a set for you though :(
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

Karl_CLCoupe wrote:You can get a set a Mark1 Golf GTi clocks to work (they have a rev counter). I know nothing on wiring them up, or how to adapt them, so I will point you in the direction of Groovy or madmatt.

Karl.
the mk1 GTi go up to 120mph so im guessing the speedo would be out
but if you get a set off a polo they just plug stright in no probs tho you might want to put your orginal speedo in so you keep the original milage for that you just undo the bolts on the back remove the blue curcit film
think you have to move the middle LED bit to take the speedo out

when i did mine i didt put my speedo in, every time i got to 30mph the oil warning buzzer went off
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

The golf speedo's are just geared differently, they'll still read the right speed. I was tempted to put a 120mph speedo in mine, but I just couldn't be bothered to either clock it to the correct mileage or go through the hassle of informing the DVLA of the change and having someone supervise me doing it..