1.3 poor cold running, ideas???

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Tobz.
New

1.3 poor cold running, ideas???

Post by Tobz. »

Hi All

This question is actually about my 1.3 mk2 golf winter runabout.
I thought there would be plenty of you guys running the same engine and carb setup so you may have encountered the same problem.
Anyway here goes:
I'm experiencing a bit of a problem with my winter runabout from cold and was wondering if anybody had some suggestions what it could be. The problem is only when starting from cold in the morning and only lasts for about 3miles. Basically you can't give it anymore than about half throttle or it just stops firing and slows down. This morning I thought I would just keep my foot flat on the throttle and see what happened. It stopped firing, started slowing down then started backfiring and chucking out loads of thick black smoke. I returned to half throttle and it carried on running fine. Once it has fully warmed up you can use full throttle and it runs well and pulls right up to 90mph. I need to get to the bottom of this before I tuck the gti up for the winter and need to fully rely on the banger.
Any suggestions???

P.S. It's a 1984 model with a Pierburg 2E carb, it's only got 67k on the clock and the engine is in good health.

Toby
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

sounds like carb freeze
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

This might be helpful for you to try (see pic):

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... ght=#61226

Karl.
Tobz.
New

Post by Tobz. »

mk2keel wrote:sounds like carb freeze
Cheers keel that's exactly what somebody suggested on the golfgti.co.uk forum. Looks like I'll try a new air temp sensor and see if that cures the problem. I left it running outside the house for 10mins before I left this morning and it ran fine so it's definately temp related.

Toby
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

(as seen in dom's post) Try hooking up the warm air feed (from the cover ontop of the exhaust manifold) to the end of the pipe in the airbox, performance will decrease but just for the winter it'll be alright and it will stop all the nasty smoke ect.
Tobz.
New

Post by Tobz. »

Right done some reading on the topic earlier and came across this really useful thread, anybody having problems with a pierburg 2E3 might wanna have a look:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=8799&v=f

Carb icing could be an issue so I'm gonna check the operation of the hot/cold air flap. I now suspect though that I may be experiencing overchoking which seems to be a common problem with these carbs. The car has a terrible tickover until warm and the black smoke on full throttle would be consistent with a very rich fuel mixture. As the choke pulldown is diaphragm operated and the car is 20years old a knackered diaphragm is highly likely. Gonna strip the carb down at the weekend and give it a good clean up just to be sure. Ordered a choke pull down diaphragm and carb service kit from GSF only £15 for both.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Toby