Chips, chile sauce, sore finger

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Chips, chile sauce, sore finger

Post by nuttinnew »

Has anyone compared hardhitter's and poloace's chips back-to-back?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

If anyone has dom (optima21) has. And if he hasnt im sure he will do and give us the results! :wink:
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

I've got a Superchip to add. Back to back with Dan's two of us feel that the Super has more top end, Dan's more mid, both are a noticeable improvement over std and well worthwhile. I'd love to have a set of rollers here to see if Dan's is the same top end but doesn't feel it as it's got more mid.

Can maps be scanned so they can be cut-and-pasted to get the best of all worlds? I have no idea of the terminology involved there, sorry :D
tainmrk3polo
Bronze Member

Post by tainmrk3polo »

im gonna do some tests at the Rolling Road day, im running a poloace and philj on porka has a hardhitter so at the RR day i', doing 2 runs to show each one!
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

nuttinnew wrote:I've got a Superchip to add. Back to back with Dan's two of us feel that the Super has more top end, Dan's more mid, both are a noticeable improvement over std and well worthwhile. I'd love to have a set of rollers here to see if Dan's is the same top end but doesn't feel it as it's got more mid.

Can maps be scanned so they can be cut-and-pasted to get the best of all worlds? I have no idea of the terminology involved there, sorry :D
Superchips are normally a hack chip - basically they turn of the fuel over run cut off and borrow part of the cost start enrichment values (the choke settings) for the main fueling maps

- turn off fuel overun cut off and you'll get better pick up everytime you put you foot back on the throttle (but you will WASTE fuel)

- Cold start enrichment (choke settings) will help WOT (wide open throttle) ie fueling at top end (not the best way to do it IMHO)

To answer your question the maps aren't maps but bits and bites BUT you can take the info in it binary form and compare it taking the best of all and come to better all round chip

BUT - the hard part is getting the checksum right if the chip architecture uses one - this bit I don't know yet cos I still haven't found a AEX ECU to start playing with.... Arse!!!!

JM2pW
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

bstardchild wrote:To answer your question the maps aren't maps but bits and bites BUT you can take the info in it binary form and compare it taking the best of all and come to better all round chip
That's it!

Got a few good breakers round here, I can try and source an ecu for you if you so desire?
poloace
New

Post by poloace »

MK3 have no Check sum checking, MK4 do. There are quite a few tables within the eprom and only certain ones can be adjusted this iw where the experience is needed my maps originate from a German suppier that has all the code he sell RR setup. Nearly all after market chips are just tweaks of the original code and just ceratin variables- Rev limit- Idle speed altered and then the look up table which is a table of numbers which the ECU when then use to look up the different values to use depending on the engine sensor states. The ECU will integrate between these values to smooth out its response.

I am currently speaking with Dan get one of his chips to compare the maps, I would be interested in getting the Superchips eprom. The same maps will work differently on every car. Playing with the tables without a RR is very time consuming and not easy. I have made an adapter that allows me to trial 4 maps on my G40 ECu and I compared 2 of these at Stealth at the G40 rolling road and there was about 2bhp difference which is actauilly hard toe tell on the road. It is very easy to run to rich or lean and damage the engein ifg you are not careful.

The AEX is the 1.4 I will be getting code for these eventaully that should give improvements of 4-5bhp. The most difficult thing on the Mk4 is the fact that the eprom is surface mounted chip and specila equipment is required to avoid damageing surrounding componets on removal. If getting a replacement ECU you will need to ensure you get the same version as there are quite a few variations out there.

Many of the UK chip tuning garages are just modem dealers and do the same as I do buying the modified maps from about 2 or3 main companys in Europe that get old of every new model and they rechip them on a RR and then sell those maps on. I have access to a German modem dealer who can supply me code for about 10,000 different models.
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

How long would you need the Super for to have a nose?

Happy to help :D
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

nuttinnew wrote:That's it!

Got a few good breakers round here, I can try and source an ecu for you if you so desire?
Look - I'm not blowing my own trumpet here and I DO NOT want to tread on anyone elses toes - I've developed a few chips for previous cars I've owned and they all work fine

but I have a 1.4 8V that is asmatic and want to change that - I've bought a spare engine and ripped it apart and apart from the small ports it should breathe a lot better than it does - it's in the maps and I'd like to change it and put the information in the UK-P public domain

an EPROM and carrier cost less than a quid even if I cover for my time the end result should be about £20 if I can sell 10

Someone must have an AEX ECU?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

poloace wrote:MK3 have no Check sum checking, MK4 do. There are quite a few tables within the eprom and only certain ones can be adjusted this iw where the experience is needed my maps originate from a German suppier that has all the code he sell RR setup. Nearly all after market chips are just tweaks of the original code and just ceratin variables- Rev limit- Idle speed altered and then the look up table which is a table of numbers which the ECU when then use to look up the different values to use depending on the engine sensor states. The ECU will integrate between these values to smooth out its response.
But if you have the checksum location you can rewrite the checksum to equal the sum of the chip - then whatever you do isn't a compromise and will not bring on the engine management light....

Any chip is a tweak of the original code hell there is no point re-inventing the wheel but I have seen in a lot of std chips huge holes to pass emissions and noise regs that are basically strangling the engines output - once you have the 3D maps in front of you the bloody holes are obvious - fill em up and you get instant mid range - top end and WOT maps take a bit more work but it's not that hard

Once you have a carrier in the ECU it's all plug and play. I reckon the 1.4 8V with a good chip should be good for 70bhp plus

I'll prove it with the opportunity :wink:
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

yeah I did but didnt find any noticeable difference between them (on the raod dyno) but thats on my engine, with standard ignition advance and I think I was making less power than I should have anyway, but that might be because its an old engine etc.

still the chips could work differntly with different modifications too.
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Easy b', twas only the penny dropping...

Just wondered if you want me to see if they've got an aex ecu.
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Summat else, summat that has bugged the hell out of me for years, is insurance companies and chipping. Ah, performance modification, more money please. What happened before chips/ecus were about? You took your car in for a service and that included tuning it, i.e. tweaking the fuelling and timing! Performance mod? No, just good general maintainance practice. Seethe, fume.

Don't forget that fitting a 32dmtr to you Polo2 1.3 isn't a performance mod either, it's a std replacement! :shock: Should get me an older car again....
poloace
New

Post by poloace »

I agree with Nuttinew there about insurance, as you could tweak your old car and not be charged a chip is classed as a mod.

on most of my maps it is plugged holes with changes to top end. It is good fun probing the code. I have a good mate who is a Micro controller expert and he has nearly completyl reverse engineered teh G60 ECU which will allow us to use it as a custom ecu for a number of applications.

I'm not doubting your capabilities I was just adding my comments.

Its an addictive hobby :-)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

poloace wrote:I agree with Nuttinew there about insurance, as you could tweak your old car and not be charged a chip is classed as a mod.
:lol:
poloace wrote:on most of my maps it is plugged holes with changes to top end. It is good fun probing the code. I have a good mate who is a Micro controller expert and he has nearly completyl reverse engineered teh G60 ECU which will allow us to use it as a custom ecu for a number of applications.
I've done similar but only to understand what all the maps do - I took a complete loom and ECU with all the sensors out of a car and built it up (compacted it) as a test rig - was then able to play with all the inputs
poloace wrote:I'm not doubting your capabilities I was just adding my comments.
I can see that - no offence taken
poloace wrote:Its an addictive hobby :-)
Very addictive