poor runnning 91 GT

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
mickb
New

poor runnning 91 GT

Post by mickb »

Okay-

My GT runs like s==t, It seems to be when the temp get to around 70 that it starts cutting out. This noramlly happen on low throttle and some times idle.

Ive tried diconnecting the lambda (the plus beside the manifold) and that make no difference. A new blue temp sender, no difference, new throttle cable and cleaned the TB. Cleaned igntion leads and checked spark plugs, still no better+ new dizzy cap and rotor arm?

1. Has any one had similar probs?

2. Has any one some new ideas I can try?
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Are you sure the new blue temp sensor is spot on ? When it's up to temperature will it go into service mode when you unplug the blue temp sensor ? (I'm guessing not from what you describe)

When you say it runs like s==t, in what way do you mean ? No response, misfiring, stalling ?
mickb
New

Post by mickb »

It cuts out on light throttle, so doing say a constant 30mph it will shuddder and cut out (just for a second, like its 'missing a beat')

How can I till if its in service mode? you unplug it when its running right?
metz

Post by metz »

Sounds like a timing issue/ blue temp sender thing to me...but i'm no mechanic.

Mine didn't cut out but juddered like hell on light throttle until i set the timing up properly.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

could be the throttle valve potentiometer. I had similar symptoms on my old black GT hatch, it woul idle from cold, but as soon as it got warm it just wouldnt idle. Theyre about £45 + vat from vag. :shock: Dont think anywhere else sells em. I was lucky and got one for a tenner that someone was selling with a throttlebody. Do you know anyone else with a GT you can borrow parts off to try? thats how I found ming was buggered.
mickb
New

Post by mickb »

I ve had two blue temp senders in now so I am happy its not that. I am not sure about the potnetiometer thingy, as the idle is good, apart from it cutting out completely every now and again.

The only similer problem I ve talked to any one about was a 20l granada with MPI, it would hesiatate if kept at a stendy speed but accelerate fine, this turned out to be the AFM, but it does'nt help with the temp relatedness ( this could just be that it happen once I get out and about and not the temp at all. Has any one had an AFM fail on them and what happened?

Also what about carb icing? As I ve pulled all that stuff off and have a big hole in the front of the airbox, but I ve not seen any posts about GT suffering from this?

Any ideas welcome as I ve ran out of ideas.......................

cheers
Nick101
Getting There!

Post by Nick101 »

hardhitter wrote:Are you sure the new blue temp sensor is spot on ? When it's up to temperature will it go into service mode when you unplug the blue temp sensor ? (I'm guessing not from what you describe)
What if its not going into service mode when the blue temp sensor is umplugged?
mickb
New

Post by mickb »

well, I ve changed the chip back to a std polo gt one and its working fine (never ran better) I did mess with the timing so it may be the tuning chip was advancing thies to much for the badly sey-up timing, it going for a full service on wednesday so hopefully I ll find out then, thnaks for all the help, Ill keep you posted.