Sidelight Replacing - Without removing bumper!

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Polo_Gio
Silver Member

Sidelight Replacing - Without removing bumper!

Post by Polo_Gio »

I have always hated my sidelights as they give off a yellow glow. So i decided to buy some zenon bulbs that give off a bright white with a blue tint. I read on here that its impossible to change the sidelights without removing the bumper. Well i managed to do it without removing the bumper and using a flathead screwdriver.

The main problem is that there isnt enough room to get a good purchase on the bulb socket. Some ppl advise you to tug on the wires but i would be more careful incase you break the wire.

I am i simply used a precision flathead screwdriver to get the socket out past it's retainer using a a lever action ( like opening a tin of paint ) This worked a treat. Fitted lights and tested before fitting them back!!!

Walaa!!! Done

It can be done!

Will post in DIY and i know i shoulda only posted it there but thought you's might wanna know. Can post pics if you's want

Cheers
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Sounds like a job well done m8, p.s what bulb type did you use for the sidelights, I need mine changing too sometime
Polo_Gio
Silver Member

Post by Polo_Gio »

Thanks, yeah they are 501 wedges. Plenty of them on ebay but i used the www.powerbulbs.co.uk . I would recommend buying silver vision side repeaters and you will get philips vision bulbs free!! Free P+P so i think its just under £14 (inv vat) And you get a 10% discount for being a member tho not sure how to claim it.

Hope it helps :P
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Cool thanks for the link, could you let me know which 'h' bulbs I should get? too much conflicted info and since you have a mk5 too, i can get the same ones that worked for you
Polo_Gio
Silver Member

Post by Polo_Gio »

High beam and Low beam are both H7

Indicator lights are PY21W

Sidelights are W5W

If you go on to powerbulbs website it has a vehicle check on the right hand side. Pretty sure they are right tho

I'd also check out ebay....you never know

Cheers
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Wicked, thanks m8 - now I can get exact correct types :)
tntuk
New

sidelights

Post by tntuk »

any one got a pic of where the sidelights are taken out from ? It sounds well easy but would like instuctions to exactly tell what it is i am looking to touch! :oops:
Polo_Gio
Silver Member

Post by Polo_Gio »

The sidelights can be removed from the back of the light housing. Theres a black cover over the lights secured with a metal bar that can be pulled to one side then slip the cover out towards the centre of the engine.

Then its easy to just levy the bulb holder out using a small flat head screw driver.

Bulbs are just push in and play.

Hope it helps

No pics sadly
Polo_Gio
Silver Member

Post by Polo_Gio »

The sidelights can be removed from the back of the light housing. Theres a black cover over the lights secured with a metal bar that can be pulled to one side then slip the cover out towards the centre of the engine.

Then its easy to just levy the bulb holder out using a small flat head screw driver.

Bulbs are just push in and play.

Hope it helps

No pics sadly
tntuk
New

sidelights

Post by tntuk »

Cheers I will give it a go this weekend!!!