Tubular turbo manifold anyone??

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
LregG
Getting There!

Tubular turbo manifold anyone??

Post by LregG »

Up till now (well two months'ish away) the only turbo manifold worth talking about was the rothe Ko3 manifold

Many have used it and to good effect but it's not the best in terms of even flow from each cylindor to the turbo which will (slightly) hinder spool up

That is until i decided to do something about it!!

Check out this manifold

Believe it or not it in it's this prototype will fit under the bonnet but only just and that's before i drop the upright primarys by an inch and mate it to a polo flange

I'm going to modify one of these to fit the polo engine and then send it back to manufacturer to produce them in its polo form. The plan is too sell them on to to you boys and girls so that you now have a choice of a tubular turbo manifold that will not only work really well but look fairly decent under the bonnet

It'll be made of stainless 304 and I plan to make it with both a T25 and Ko3 flange so you are not limited to your choice of turbo.

This is not going to happen over night but hopefully, all going to plan, i will have some ready to sell in two months time

Who would be interested??

PLEASE NOTE: THE MANIFOLD SHOWN ABOVE IS NOT THE FINISHED ITEM

The turbo in the picture is a GT28RS

It was used to show the biggest turbo you might be mad enough to use will fit!!
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

what size engine is this for or could it fit the 1.0litre aswell i have been looking at ways to improve the power of my car but dont want to put a bigger engine in ,and a turbo sounds like the best idea:)how much is the rother one and also the ones you are getting made?
LregG
Getting There!

Post by LregG »

rn1988 wrote:what size engine is this for or could it fit the 1.0litre aswell i have been looking at ways to improve the power of my car but dont want to put a bigger engine in ,and a turbo sounds like the best idea:)how much is the rother one and also the ones you are getting made?
Really wouldn't put a turbo on a 1.0L mate!! It will fit but you need to lower the compression, have boost retard ignition, a knock sensor, air temp sensor, map sensor (boost sensor) and an ecu to work all that. Basically it would be cheaper to get a G40 engine conversion!!

Yes , you could adapt a renault 5 carb onto the inlet manifold but you've still got to lower compression and get boost retard igniton
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

i was only thinking about running quite low boost about 5psi using a metro turbo,i did think about that but with prices at what they are i wanted to try something different,i am on a motorsport course at college so wanted to do something pretty mental to get expereince,lower the compression by getting a thicker head gasket?
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

how much are you talking about for one of these i am really into doing new and weird things and would like to try this
LregG
Getting There!

Post by LregG »

Prices will be finalized once the maker has recieved the modded manifold so they can see how much materials/work is involved, this will be within the next two months
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

any general idea?,i am interested if the price is resonable
LregG
Getting There!

Post by LregG »

I can only guess and aim for the £250 mark, it could be £50 either side of that
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

what would be a realistic turbo to put on this manifold if it was fitted to a 1.0litre?,and is there plenty of space between turbo and radiator,enought space in front of it to fit an intercooler?
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Without bothering to look at compressor maps or doing any maths, I'd suggest something along the lines of a Garrett T2.
LregG
Getting There!

Post by LregG »

rn1988 wrote:what would be a realistic turbo to put on this manifold if it was fitted to a 1.0litre?,and is there plenty of space between turbo and radiator,enought space in front of it to fit an intercooler?
As andy said a T2 would be good for a 1 litre if you were going to turbo it.

There would be plenty of space between the turbo and rad especially with the T2 and all kinds of intercoolers fit infront of the radiator> iveco daily, VW sharon, BMW 530TDi, cossie etc etc all have been fitted and maybe more

EDIT: the first picture shows the bearing housing of a T2 bolted to the manifold
Rob123
Getting There!

Post by Rob123 »

LregG wrote:Really wouldn't put a turbo on a 1.0L mate!! It will fit but you need to lower the compression, have boost retard ignition, a knock sensor, air temp sensor, map sensor (boost sensor) and an ecu to work all that.
and major strengthening of the whole engine to stop it going POP!
rn1988
Getting There!

Post by rn1988 »

what kind of power increase would there be with a t2 turbo?and wot cars will have a turbo that small?thanks for the help
matt196
New

Post by matt196 »

if 1 of u do get a turbo to work on the 1l id b rearly intrested ckeep us posted if u go for it