MK4 side light replacement / Xenon upgrade [easy]

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
JoeG07
Gold Member

MK4 side light replacement / Xenon upgrade [easy]

Post by JoeG07 »

This can be either a great new mod or simply to replace your blown sidelight bulbs. My Xenon replacement bulbs cost me a fiver, this took about 5 minuits with no tools at all, and is dead easy.

Firstly you need to remove the black plastic panel from the back of your lights. To do this simply push down on the release catch at the top, and it will lever off.

This is what the inside of your lights look like from behind. The side light is the one circled. You need to grip it hard and tug it, it simply pulls out! Just DO NOT PULL THE WIRES. It may resist and feel like its stuck in, but trust me a good strong tug will remove this.

You now need to grip the plastic bulb hulder, and tug the bulb. it will simply pull out.

Now just push in your new bulb, not too hard or you'll break it.
Ensure that you're not touching anything live, and give your new bulbs a test.

If all is good, push the bulb and holder back into the socket it came from and clip the plastic backing back into place.

Enjoy you're new lights!

R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

What xenon kits did you fit????
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

No xenon kit, thats just fitting blue LED sidelights
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

thats awesome! is it possible and legal to replace it with red lights? would i get pulled by the filth or owt:S:S:S
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

ilegal to have any led bulb tecnically, as even a white one is too bright seemly
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

ahh i thought it was a guide for actual fitting of a HID kit.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

lolol im full on shunning myself 4 making this post, cnt beleive i did a guide on swapping side lights! :lol: my God i was such a noob! shows how much my modding skills have progressed since then lol.
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

hm. is i t possible to connect some kind of LED coming off the side light, on a seperate swithc, so when your car is stationary, you can swith them on?? this would nt be illegal will it either, as they arent your lights...
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

umm you could do, but if you have it powered off the side lights you can only have it on when the sidelights are on, its dead simple to do if you just want the led to come on and off with the sidelights, its not too hard to add a swtich just bit more of an effort
mbenz1
Bronze Member

Post by mbenz1 »

ive got similar sidelights to these. and they passed mot so should be fine....
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

hmm. i was just thinking, because im going to set up some lights, around my car NOT NEONS! lmao, think there s**t. but something thats different. so thought if i could take a lead off them then just somewhere else to place a light lol.