Polo greetings from across the pond!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
rossvw
New

Polo greetings from across the pond!

Post by rossvw »

Greetings all!

I own a MKII polo here in the USA. I purchased it as a rolling shell and got some help from a gentleman in Scotland who shipped a suitable engine/tranny for me to build the car!

The polo is one of a kind here in the US, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Check my website with the details of the work I've done thus far, any and all comments very welcome! I could actually use some help as I'm trying to diagnose the electronic ignition.

http://www.rossvw.com/poloproject

Thanks in advance!

-Ross
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

What an amazing story!! Very interesting reading!! I cant belive you would go to so much effort to save a polo! But fair dos to ya all the same. There are plenty of people on here, and porka.net, who are knowledgable and will be happy to help you out with problems such as the ignition one. Why don't you use all the wiring from the uk polo, as that was running before it was dismanteled wasnt it? Ive never seen a diesel mk2 either, as they were not offered for sale to us here in the uk. Keep up the good work im sure you'll have it cracked soon!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi there Ross!

Nice write up on the progress of your project!

Welcome to the forum and I hope someone with a similar car and knowlege of your engine will be able to help.

For anyone with a MK2 Polo 1 litre... Please can you check your coil to see what goes on this terminal (see picture below)... Thanks!

Hope to see you on here again Ross!

All the best
rossvw
New

Post by rossvw »

Cometbluecoupe wrote:What an amazing story!! Very interesting reading!! I cant belive you would go to so much effort to save a polo! But fair dos to ya all the same. There are plenty of people on here, and porka.net, who are knowledgable and will be happy to help you out with problems such as the ignition one. Why don't you use all the wiring from the uk polo, as that was running before it was dismanteled wasnt it? Ive never seen a diesel mk2 either, as they were not offered for sale to us here in the uk. Keep up the good work im sure you'll have it cracked soon!
Thanks for the comments! I thought it was worth saving as it is likely one of the only ones in the entire USA. With the install, I have used the entire wiring harness from the donor polo under the bonnet, but I didn't think to have the interior wire harness sent, so the wires that go from the ignition switch to the coil/etc aren't lined up. Rumor has it that this car used to be a hand-built 2-cylinder eco-diesel prototype sort of thing. I bought only as a rolling shell, and don't know its history.
rossvw
New

Post by rossvw »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:Hi there Ross!

Nice write up on the progress of your project!

Welcome to the forum and I hope someone with a similar car and knowlege of your engine will be able to help.

For anyone with a MK2 Polo 1 litre... Please can you check your coil to see what goes on this terminal (see picture below)... Thanks!

Hope to see you on here again Ross!

All the best
Thanks! I've discovered thus far on the wiring the following:

There shouldn't be a wire on that empty terminal (terminal 15)
The upper left wire powers the TCI-H control unit
The upper right wire (green) goes to the TCI-H control unit
The lower left wire should be connected to +12V when the ignition switch is in the run or start position.

I don't know what the red/black wire is supposed to connect to. Please help if you know!
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

That appears to be correctly wired up at the coil end. On mine, from the firewall, red/black goes to -1, and black goes to 15+. From the module, black goes to 15+ and green to -1. Im not sure but i think the red/black wire may be for the rev counter. Have you tried hot wiring the car? are all the wires unter the steering column connected up?
rooboy
Silver Member

Post by rooboy »

Bloody hell, the polo must be rarer than an original shape MINI over there as i diddn't think Americans went for cars smaller than a house! Seriously though, reconditioned, that must be worth some serious wedge over there, due to the rarity value.
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

Cometbluecoupe wrote:Im not sure but i think the red/black wire may be for the rev counter.
ah ha :P been looking for that 8)

cheers dude
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

FYI there is a mk3 G40 with a G60 charger in the US hes a member on hetre but i forget his username