Car will not start

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
f1basgh
New

Car will not start

Post by f1basgh »

I have a 2005 Polo 1200cc it has had a misfire on two cylinders and the garage who has just serviced it could not put it right they have changed cam shaft sensor two coil packs and plugs . But yesterday came to start it and it started but cut out and smoke came out of engine bay, now will not start full stop and acrid smell in engine bay. Had diagnostics out who told me about the misfire and they now cannot even link the diagnostic machine up it just comes up link error, they think ECU is fried as the machine linked up before. There was nothing wrong with the car until it went to this garage for its annual service but on the way back from picking it up the Engine Light came on this is when cylinder 1& 3 misfire was diagnosed on machine, i took it back and they put the other parts on ie coil packs , camshaft sensor ,new plugs. Please help as i am now stranded with a car that refuses to start, all lights on dash and it turns over. Tony
Last edited by f1basgh on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Car will not start

Post by Tim_GTi »

Does your car have twin healdights per side? Or headlights like the mark5 Golf? (trying to determine which mark yours is, as 05 isn't a mark5)
f1basgh
New

Post by f1basgh »

Sorry one round headlight each side Tony
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Like this?

Sorry, just checking to see what section to this thread to so you recieve correct help.
f1basgh
New

Post by f1basgh »

Yes that is the model it is a 1200cc 12valve, some one says they think the first problems misfire cylinders 1 & 3 were because the wrong oil has been put in the car at the service, and on looking it does not look thin enough to be fully synthetic. They say if the wrong oil has been put in it locks the valves in the open position and that pulls up the fault on the scanner misfire on the cylinders 1 & 3 !!!!,

But that would not be whats wrong now IE not starting full stop and the smoke coming from under the bonnet after starting and cutting out and now not starting at all. I have looked all over the wiring loom and cannot see any sign of burning. Took the ECU off and looked inside it , no obvious sign of damage in there, but there has to be a reason my scanner will not link up now when it always has so I can see the DTC faults thats in the car. Is there a fuse that could have blown that I have not picked up that controls the ECU and starting does any one know please. It has to be something like the wrong oil being put in at the garage to start all the trouble because up to the car going for a service it has been superb not one bit of trouble, plus only the week before I had it on the scanner with every thing in the system coming up OK. It goes for the service and on the way home after having it done the MIL light comes on. Put it on the scanner which shows misfire 1 & 3 took back to the garage they put new coils on cylinders 1 & 3, cam shaft sensor and plugs. Get home and on next start engine cuts out with smoke coming from under bonnet now will not start plus will not now link into the scanner to see what the fault is !!!!!!. Please help as I am stranded at home with no car & i am disabled and cannot get any where. Tony
f1basgh
New

Post by f1basgh »

You will not believe this we found 2 fuses blown so replaced them, tried starting the car again it started on one cylinder then cut out smoke pouring from the engine. ripped plastic cover off to see no1 & no3 cylinder coil packs melt in front of us. Took battery lead of and got extinguisher on it. These are the two coil packs the garage has replaced yet the wiring and connector to the packs are perfect with no sign of overheating or shorting out, yet the coil packs are a blob of plastic now. ANY ideas please. If the hydraulic tappets have been forced open due to the wrong oil could this put that much pressure on the coil packs to get them to blow