Pricing a GTI

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Bradley
Gold Member

Pricing a GTI

Post by Bradley »

Abit random but after some opinions on GTI's.What you price a GTI with this kind of set up or expect to pay for one?.

All the usual GTI refinements with 40,000 miles on the clock,Standard setup,full VW Dealership service history,HPI Clear,Invoices for every service plus 2 cambelt changes since new,every M.O.T. Certificate from new,Very good condition RXII's,near immaculate condition both inside and out.

Prices seem to be all over the show for GTI's lately.I personally would expect to pay around the £4000 mark for one in excellent condition with faultless FVWSH.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Pricing a GTI

Post by alexperkins »

Id say thats about the right price, however i wouldnt say youll see more than £3500 for it to be fair :(
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

Im considering buying one, but the gearbox issue really really puts me right off. I think £4000 is a bit much for a 40k one unless its 3dr and has leather seats. You can put it up for that but Ive seen similar priced ones for £4k with 20k that have been for sale for a year or more. Its a lot of money to pay when it seems you have to get another gearbox, which to be fair isnt true of most cars costing £4000. Plus most are 11 years old.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

I agree with part of what you're saying,but as a new buyer don't let the Gearbox put you off.It is a common fault but not every GTI has had a bad life and plenty have lived over the 100k mark without being replaced.

Just be careful where you buy it from.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

The Prices seem to have dropped by nearly 1K in the last 6 months but I would expect to pay £3800-4000 for yours bradley.
bradley1983
Gold Member

Post by bradley1983 »

I agree about the price drop. Mine is going up for sale after I finish my to do list and getting all the marks sprayed.

In the last 3 months it's had a new box, clutch, belt and pump changed, 4 tyres and new central locking pump and I want £2600. Mine has full history and 71k.

There is a red one on autotrader for a year at 4k with low milage.
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

If thats the red one I have seen its a 5door. I think 5 doors should go for less as they dont look as good, but thats just me. Probably better engines on 4drs.

I think £4k for a polo is a lot of money but as time goes on there not exactly dropping because it becomes more classic car based, so in future they will be even sillier prices.

Also Ive been looking for a long time now, prices are all over the place in garages, they sometimes ask prices not too far from a new shape 1.8 T for something with 60k which they think is low mileage, I personally dont think there worth the same as a car from 2006 (recently there was a black one for £1300 less than a new model for instance).
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote:The Prices seem to have dropped by nearly 1K in the last 6 months but I would expect to pay £3800-4000 for yours bradley.
It's not mine dude but thankyou,was just thinking thats what is kind of classed as a low mileage one now.I can't grasp prices for them i still find myself browsing as if i was buying one.
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

bradley1983 wrote:I agree about the price drop. Mine is going up for sale after I finish my to do list and getting all the marks sprayed.

In the last 3 months it's had a new box, clutch, belt and pump changed, 4 tyres and new central locking pump and I want £2600. Mine has full history and 71k.

There is a red one on autotrader for a year at 4k with low milage.
I havent seen your car but Id put it on for more than that (£2600) if I were you because its had a new gearbox and its done 71k, which to garages is low mileage. At least try for £3000-3200 maybe more as Id personally pay that and its worth more than £2600 I think. (I have to get from garage because im a credit low gimp due to no reasons at all! Wont bore you with). I did have money for a private one for ages but none came up so I transferred it (using cred card for money.)
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

Also just to say I think waiting a while at a higher price will work out in the end because with this sort of car you need someone who wants one rather than someone just getting a car, so its worth to people like me who are looking for one and know a little about it. Anyway good luck with the sale and ignore all the price flutuations and try for a decent amount and be pacient :)
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Bradley wrote:It's not mine dude but thankyou,was just thinking thats what is kind of classed as a low mileage one now.I can't grasp prices for them i still find myself browsing as if i was buying one.
Ahrite Sorry dude my bad :)
I'm always looking at GTI's too just for price comparisons etc

The standard of GTI's available has dropped dramatically in the last 2 or 3 years so it’s hard to find a good unmolested example these days.
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

Yeh it is hard, they're either wrecks or pristine so they're either quite cheap or too expensive. I'm on the verge of getting something else instead to be honest as I want to pay £3000-3500 for something like 70k+ 3dr, silver or black thats in ok condition. Not having a car to look for one doesnt help :P

Additionally here is an expensive one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

£4500. Might be quite good but personally that much for a polo is too much compared to what else you can get for same money. It's been for sale for a while, its not really even low mileage in the grand scheme of things. Anyway yes Im annoyed, it should be £3500 :D

What really annoys me further is its almost 80% chance you will need to spend at least £800 for a new gearbox, so that car could end up costing £5500 which is not great. Can't be many cars you spend £4500 on knowing your gearbox could break at any moment (unless its a french) I think they will go up in price as the years go by for good ones, just like say an old mini cooper is still expensive or one of those ancient bmw m3s so its worth keeping them in good condition as you will get a lot of money for them probably.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If it annoys you this much, then dont buy a GTI its as simple as that

They are great little cars. Bargains are out there to be had, and true its likely youll need a new gearbox at some point be it sooner or later. If it concerns you, then buy one thats already had the gearbox changed so you wont have to worry about it.

I've spent over 6k on repairs and work on the GTI - its a labour of love. If you haven't got the pocket for it, then dont get one lol

Rant over :D

Anyhow, that one you've linked to is a nice example, however with mileage like that, the fact it has leather and an auto dimming mirror/rain sensor isnt enough to warrant that price tag.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Just echoing what Alex said really and that’s if you get annoyed looking for one then perhaps it’s not the right car for you.

The GTI are not the easiest/cheapest cars to maintain so you will find yourself throwing money at an already depreciating car, never the less it’s an awesome car and should not be underestimated. It’s a rare car too soon to be a classic no doubt so you have to accept that finding a good example won’t be an easy task.

The gearbox really shouldn’t be an issue it’s a simple fix for any garage and £400/500 later the car is back to normal.
It shouldn’t need refurbing more than once in its lifetime if the job is done properly and some people are fortunate enough to get over 100K from the original box. If you are so concerned about the gearbox then you might be better off looking for a 6 speed 02-05 Lupo GTI
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

Well maybe youre right, I mean spending £6000 seems a bit crazy, but on the other hand its clearly a good hobby to have you enjoy, so its not really all about the money. The part that annoys me is dealers dont reflect this blatent manufacturers defect in the price is what I was trying to say, but thats life after all.