Nigel's GTI - The tale of the jumpy throttle continues...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
P mk4
Bronze Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - Speaker repairs...

Post by P mk4 »

Good effort Iv been slowly working round my car as Iv just bought given each panel clay bar t-cut, menzera ff polish topped with autoglyn hd wax :) taken me a while but it's getting there :) rain replant is epic drive 300 miles on Sunday in lashing rain on the motorway used my wipers 5-6 times on the journey haha
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - Speaker repairs...

Post by nigelelliott394 »

Rain repellent is great. I hear there's much better than RainX out there so I'll have to look into that.

I didn't clay it (which it probably could have used) because to be honest, I lose motivation easily when I'm doing so much on the car in one day.

The weather has been great across the Irish sea for the last few days now Joe, not sure what it's like with you but I'm sure you'll get it cleaned the first chance you get.
joe2612
Gold Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - Speaker repairs...

Post by joe2612 »

nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - Speaker repairs...

Cheers for the link fella :) I'll get some ordered up ASAP.

In other news, I should have a new radio on the way to me soon courtesy of Tim. Standard VW Gamma headunit. My girlfriend spilled something over the old one trying to lift it from the cup holder and the buttons have been sticking ever since.

Following that, I'll hopefully have an XCarlink on the way! :D
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - The tale of the jumpy throttle continues..

A little has happened since I last posted... I think I posted about repairing my speakers? They're still doing just grand and sound a lot better now they've been fixed. I replaced my radio with another standard Gamma unit courtesy of Tim (thanks Tim!) just to get rid of the sticky buttons. I can't get it to sit completely flush though :?

The tale of the jumpy throttle continues. Yep, i'm still harping on about it. Unfortunately I don't have much time nor money to spend on my car these days so it's an issue I've just put up with. Tonight driving home, with the clutch still creaking I thought "I wonder is this the pedal box.." and put my left foot in below the clutch pedal to lift it up from it's resting position. There's maybe an inch of movement there I can lift it up, is that normal? With the clutch held up with my left foot, I lifted my right foot off of the accelerator....... no jumping! no lurching forward... completely smooth. To test this I must have spent the next 5 miles lifting on and off the throttle with my foot holding up the clutch and with it in it's natural "resting" position. Every time I had it help up it was smooth was butter.

Could this be a pedal box issue affecting the throttle sensor? Or could the clutch not be disengaging properly? Please help! I would appreciate it a lot :)
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

If it stops it mate I'd say yeah, certainly sounds like it. You can adjust your clutch in your engine bat next to your battery. 10mm nut undos and set it to your point that works. Might help adjusting that. Pain in bottom.... Ha!
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

the adjustment in the engine bay can be used to take up the slack you're feeling in the pedal. Wind it down a few turns and see how it feels.
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Just tighten it up? Or do I need to get someone to hold the pedal up at the same time?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Should take up the slack on it's own. Check your bulk head aswell where the cable clamps to it, there's like a big clamp thing. That sometimes breaks away I had to rescuer mine with a cable tie. Write in the middle of the back fire wall/bulk head below the intake manifold area.....
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Adjusted the cable as advised... It's raised my biting point to near enough the top of the pedal but everything is smooth now. I can lift off the accelerator without the car lurching as though I've double tapped the brakes.

Cheers for the advice guys! Greatly appreciated :) let's hope that's it sorted!
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Ah result mate, glad I could help....! Forums are always helpful......
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Re: nigelelliott394's GTI

Post by Aquavalver »

nigelelliott394 wrote:So I got up early this morning, sorted out insurance (what a hassle THAT was) and brought it back home. I really love it! It's such a huge difference from driving a diesel... so much power available. So I've got a few questions but I'll get to those in a minute. First of all, here's some pictures :) It's by no means perfect and it needs a few things sorted out but some of the best ones on this site all started out in less than perfect shape :)

Some Bubbling on the paint on the spoiler.

Not sure if you can see them but there's some dents on the roof

Scuff on the front bumper. Hope to get it resprayed to tidy that up. Also if you look below the grille there's some sort of... well, it's an utter hash whatever it is. Some kind of cleaning product the previous owner used. Cleaned it all up now though :)

Looks like a bit of rust on the underside of the sill.

And not long after I got it home i added the red piping to the grille. :D

Questions
It's kind of stuttering and feels like it's going to stall sometimes in first and second, perhaps i'm just used to driving diesels but it seems to judder until you build the revs up to about 2500rpm. Will cleaning the throttle body make that go away?

Anyone know what that gunk is in the coolant expansion tank?

If I think of any more I'll be sure to ask, but otherwise, let me know what you guys think. Personally, I think it's the basis of a nice little project that I can tidy up :)
I just picked up a similar black GTI with 57k miles 2 weeks ago. Mine has some of the same bubbles on the ends of the rear spoiler, but I'm having those and a couple of other little bits sorted in a week and a halfs time.

The expansion tanks usually go like that. You could take it off and give it a clean, whch will make it look better, but the whitish original colour will still be discoloured. I've usually ended up buying a new one after a certain amount of time (late mk.2 Golf GTI's used the same type). Using proper VW coolant helps keeping it going so brown (which I guess is rust from the radiator?).

How's it been going recently?