Advice on buying a polo please

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

Hi guys,

It's been a very long time since I posted on here!

I used to have a nice polo mk5 few years back and used forum regularly back then.

Anyway I have come for some advice as I am thinking of buying a polo again and I am unsure on engines!

My requirements are:
Budget: max £5k
Miles per year: 6k miles

I have been looking at a few 1.2s or 1.4s but I can't decide between the two.

Is there anything between the two engines? For example is one engine better in terms of reliability?

Also in terms of spec I'm after aircon, so I'm looking at an S I think??
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Advice on buying a polo please

Post by Ben90 »

1.4 would be a better choice as many say the 1.2 is underpowered (around 55bhp) and you'll spend a lot of time with your foot to the floor just to get going and end up using more fuel than a 1.4 engine would. That said, 1.2s are cheaper to insure.

Have a look at the Sport models, you get nice spec including AC as standard, sports seats with nice boltsers, bigger wheels and a slight drop in ride height out of the factory, sport doesn't mean anything performance-wise so don't worry about insurance hikes. I would avoid a 1.4 Fsi sport if you can though since they can have nightmare issues later in life in return for slightly more mpg over a regular non-fsi. I used to have an fsi and loved it, that said I didn't have any engine issues.

Instead have a look at the 1.4 sport 16v, same spec, more reliable engine, 100bhp. Can't go wrong :D

Quick note on identifying while you look, '16v' on the back means it's the 100bhp model, 'Fsi' is self explanatory. Both will have sport trim.

Hope this helps!
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

thanks for the info mate, some thing to think about now..

Im trying to find out when the Cam belt requires change on the 1.2 and 1.4 but I am reading that the 1.2 has a cam chain, therefore does not need it.
Is this true?

Thanks in advance
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

I think you're right there, the 1.2s have chains and the 1.4s have belts. The 1.4 fsi I had did have a chain though, but I think that's specific to that engine.

Usually the timing belt wants changing every 60k miles or 4 years.
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

Thanks again mate

With regards to fsi, how can I tell if the engine has fsi? Which models years tend to be fsi ?

Cheers
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

It'll have an 'fsi' badge on the back of the car, and about 86bhp.

Here's an example of a nice low mileage 1.4 sport 100 i found on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
jld14886
New

Post by jld14886 »

I dunno if this would be of any interest but I'm selling my Polo-GT

4500 ono
full VW Sinclar service history
one owner
No mods

130bhp
A/C as standard
6 CD changer
Sport Seats
(all the bits the standard GT comes with)

55mpg driving normal
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Avoid the 1.2s if you can- I drive a 1.2 with the 65PS engine and it is <i>slow</i>. Get a 1.4, preferably the FSI if you're concerned about fuel economy. The FSI has a slightly better official MPG than the 1.2s (47.9 vs 47.1) but more power.

The 1.2 is efficient if you baby it (I've got a solid 55mpg out of it when hypermiling a bit) but in normal driving I get around 40mpg (although I do a lot of town driving, which brings it down). Looking at the Honest John 'Real MPG' thing it suggests that the normal 1.4 is only slightly less efficient than the 1.2s (only 3mpg or so difference), so I'd expect the FSI to be better in real terms (it's not listed).
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

Don't even bother with petrol 1.2s & 1.4s. The turbo diesels are way better, especially the gt. Plus, you'd be suprised as they're also reasonable to insure too. More mpg & power - win win.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Check for squeaks from the bushes when you brake, these perish fast. Other than that, I cant say I've had any major issues with mine. I have a 1.4 16v sport 100 myself, its a decent motor, gets around 35 in town, (if i baby it). On a run you're looking at around mid 40's never seen it above 45 tbh. Oh and check that it has full service history for that peace of mind.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

short and sweet buddy go for the 1.4 if you can its a much more gutsy engine even if you had the 75bhp over the 65 1.2 3 cylinder.
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

With the mileage he does I'm not sure a diesel would be so beneficial. Then again I guess it depends what you're doing with your 6k miles, if it's all motorway then I might recommend you go for a 1.4 tdi too.

I can vouch that the petrol FSi gets around 46mpg average, and I did about 50/50 urban/motorway driving when I owned it. because it's injected it also needs premium to run at its peak, Tesco momentum 99 was the juice I used, same price as the branded regular unleaded too.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Oh and the biggest personal advice i could give you, and alot of people on here will probably shoot me down for this, but dont spend 5k on a little runaround, especially a polo dude. limit you're budget to about 3k max.
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

Ladiesman_317 wrote:Oh and the biggest personal advice i could give you, and alot of people on here will probably shoot me down for this, but dont spend 5k on a little runaround, especially a polo dude. limit you're budget to about 3k max.

What car would you recommend him to buy for 5k then?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Spend your money how you want pal! ;D u you want a polo get what you like and what you can afford.