White 6n2 tdi..

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
jamlid
New

Re: White 6n2 tdi..

Post by jamlid »

Yeah, the RMs are off and my winter wheels are on! Momo arrow lines. I love them!

While I had the car up, I discovered a few extra problems. A bracket on the side of the sump has snapped. It's there to hold one of the boost pipes in place, to stop it from touching the engine and melting... So it's a little bit melted. Tried plastic welding it back together but it's too brittle and snapped again. I've cable tied it in place until I can get to VW and order the part. I also need to replace an exhaust rubber..

Anyway, the wheels didn't fit! the centre bore on the wheels was 0.5mm too small so I cracked out the dremel and it's all good.

It's really close for catching and it has caught a couple of times while going round corners at any decent speed and hitting a bump in the road. It's still not as bad as the Schmidts were so I'm happy!
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

i got the same tailgate spoiler but have not fitted it yet nor painted. Was it easy to fit? Did you use a glue?
jamlid
New

Post by jamlid »

TRiBaL wrote:i got the same tailgate spoiler but have not fitted it yet nor painted. Was it easy to fit? Did you use a glue?
A bit late to respond but, I don't know - it was fitted when I bought the car. Whoever fitted it did a great job, because it's solid :)
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

nice to see you on here jamie some good photos 2 good clean motor you have nut after ya white mk2 i would except nowt else. :)
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

TRiBaL wrote:i got the same tailgate spoiler but have not fitted it yet nor painted. Was it easy to fit? Did you use a glue?
i fitted mine, simple as, jus use some strong waterproof adhesive and thas about it. if u take the brake light out the spoiler should hav clips that fit in there and hold it in place a lil bit
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

love this car, bet its a nightmare keeping it clean tho :/ haha
where did u get the carbon vinyl from and how does it go on? like is it stick on or do u heat it and what not....?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice build thread mate 8) got some much time for white 6N2's

I have got one of these myself, great litte cars and they return amazing fuel economy too
jamlid
New

Post by jamlid »

Thanks everyone! And nice to hear from you bennyboy! I miss that old white mk2.. It got sold into the "scene" after I had it so it's too expensive to buy back!

My MPG has been down (only 50mpg! :P ) so I've done some work on it the past couple of days.

Cleaned out the MAF
Removed and cleaned the instake manifold
Blocked the EGR
Changed the air filter

So it was all about getting it to breathe better! The air filter was minging. I can't believe what a pain VW have made it for changing it on these! Had to jack the car up which allowed me access to three of the torx bolts from below, then the last one is in such a stupid position I had to take half the front splitter off (which is a total nightmare to remove).

The intake manifold was also a pain. Access to the bolts is just terrible.. It's best to take things off in the order of: EGR pipe, EGR valve body,exhaust manifold heat shield, intake manifold.

Had some fun burning the intake manifold too! We used brake cleaner and it worked really well.

The car now feels a bit more responsive low down (although I wonder how much of this is a placebo) and hopefully my MPG will improve!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Only 50mpg...i dream of that figure LOL
Paulcos
New

Post by Paulcos »

Have you had any improvement on your economy Jamlid. I have a 6n2 tdi and am only getting 50 on long runs after a service. The egr is leaking oil (i think) so i`ll be cleaning this first then onto something else but its wrecking my head!!
Cars sweet by the way how does the cruise control work
jamlid
New

Post by jamlid »

Paulcos wrote:Have you had any improvement on your economy Jamlid. I have a 6n2 tdi and am only getting 50 on long runs after a service. The egr is leaking oil (i think) so i`ll be cleaning this first then onto something else but its wrecking my head!!
Cars sweet by the way how does the cruise control work
Not sure how the EGR would be leaking oil? Maybe has an exhaust leak and carbon deposit is coming out?

It's not made a massive difference to be honest. Getting about 55mpg but I'm not one to plod about in the car and my driving is a good mix of shorter and longer journeys. I don't drive the car much so it's hard to tell at this point if it's actually made an average improvement.

I do actually love this engine though. It's so responsive and fun! Probably one of the best engines I've driven.. the gearbox is so tight too!

Regarding the cruise control, check earlier in my thread for how it all works, etc. but it basically speaks to a module in the ECU that has to be enabled for it to work. It works an absolute treat! I get leg cramp quite easily on longer journeys so being able to stick the cruise control on is so good. It's been totally faultless too!

On a side note, my ownership of the car may be coming to an end at some point in the next couple months. I'm currently looking for a mint bmw e30 325i so once the right one pops up, this will be going! Time to go from something comfortable, reliable and economical to.. the complete opposite! :lol:
Davepolomad
New

Post by Davepolomad »

Wow loving the white polo mate!! You should give yourself a pat on the back for the work you've put into it, digging the white!!!

I have a question, which I hope you could help me with. I have a black 2000 1.4s polo, and have just fitted some BBS 15" split rims on, because they just look awesome. I have also just recieved my black Gti boot spoiler, and wondered if you could give me any advice on fitting it to my car. It had brackets fitted to it, which I know is made for the Gti tailgate, but how you fit it on so its still as solid and any guide for drilling the holes in the tailgate??
Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The GTI spoiler is fiddly to fit

It requires two carefully drilled holes either end of the tailgate, and bolting into place using the special sleeve and bolt that you should have with it

The brake light then needs removing so the spoiler can be slotted in and screwed down on where the old light screwed into inside the bootlid

The spoiler fitted to this white polo is the aftermarket Votex spoiler which is bonded on as opposed to screwed on.
Davepolomad
New

Post by Davepolomad »

Okay nice one for that! I wondered if the brake light would have to be taken off, so that answers that one!
Will have a look at drilling the holes in the tailgate myself, any tips for when I'm drilling, so I can make sure the holes perfectly line up?!
& once I drill holes and screw on sleeve and nut, is it that simple?
Ill post a pic up once I've done it so you guys can check it out. It's really nothing special, but I have just gone standard look (for now) but much more improved to the standard 1.4 with 13" steelys and wheels trims it was when I got it. It's pretty immaculate inside as it only had one previous owner and 77k on the clock but will be glad once have done a few nice mods on her!
& want to change air filter but any suggestions to which? Heard the pipercross ones are decent...
Cheers!
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

Davepolomad wrote:Okay nice one for that! I wondered if the brake light would have to be taken off, so that answers that one!
Will have a look at drilling the holes in the tailgate myself, any tips for when I'm drilling, so I can make sure the holes perfectly line up?!
& once I drill holes and screw on sleeve and nut, is it that simple?
Ill post a pic up once I've done it so you guys can check it out. It's really nothing special, but I have just gone standard look (for now) but much more improved to the standard 1.4 with 13" steelys and wheels trims it was when I got it. It's pretty immaculate inside as it only had one previous owner and 77k on the clock but will be glad once have done a few nice mods on her!
& want to change air filter but any suggestions to which? Heard the pipercross ones are decent...
Cheers!
its pretty easy to fit the spoiler, once the screws are in it will hold it in place a bit then u jus need some tiger bond or any other strong weather proof bonding to stick it down. i had quick setting bonding on mine so just had to hold it down for about 15mins and waited for it to set and voila!