lowering springs fitted by VW

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dansdad
New

lowering springs fitted by VW

Post by Dansdad »

Can anyone else confirm cost and what was carried out?

I had an original quote of £522 supply and fit, I then pointed out that the accessories brochure states £309 fitted,
The quote was then dropped to this price!!
I enquired if fitting would include tracking as this is surely a basic part of messing around with the suspension and has serious safety implications only to be told that it would be a further £118.
i would be interested to hear who has had the springs done by VW? Which dealers carried it out? what was included? and at what price?

Thanks in advance
-chris
New

Re: lowering springs fitted by VW

Post by -chris »

Don't get anything done from a main dealership work wise. They like to shaft everyone
NG6R14SEL
New

Post by NG6R14SEL »

6R0071677A supplied and fitted by the dealers six months ago ~ so the price might change

Fitted to a 1.4 manual five door SEL ~ 830kg front axle load ~ it has dropped the front 30mm and the rear by 40mm on Navarre wheels

These are the blue Eibach springs in the VW box and not the black things with the close binding coils that often get pictured

They quoted me for two hours to fit which came out more than the £300 supplied and fitted price on the web site at that time
I pointed this out and they said OK and it came out to £300.76
It works out about £130 parts and £120 fitting and I was given a parts discount because they supplied the car and then the 50 quid VAT

It looks like it has more camber at the front (at the top) :D and they said it was within the camber settings ~ tyre wear looks OK after six months
It comes out of corners different on a good road ~ more planted maybe but difficult to say why without going back and trying the original springs again ~ no chance
The ride is firm with less bounce and more controlled over bumps and crests and you can feel the springs tighten up on compression
the rear end doesn't ride up or lift in fast corners anymore and I have saved a fortune now I don't need the sea sick pills
andyc315
Bronze Member

Post by andyc315 »

£118 for tracking good lord!!!
£25 at your local

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
dkdaz
New

Post by dkdaz »

Got these fitted to my R-line style before i took delivery.

Makes the car look much better than stock.

same part number as stated above. blue springs.

dropped the front nicely. could have been a tad lower on the rear though.

definatly goes round corners much better than when i test drove the car, and not too stiff either. running the OE 16 inch wheels.
Dansdad
New

Post by Dansdad »

Quick update,

I have contacted VW UK and expressed my concerns on them advertising a service that has the potential to send a customers car out in a dangerous condition.
ie suspension geometry altered without any alignmnet checks!!

Will feed back what they say.

Regards
robbieg
Getting There!

Post by robbieg »

My car is in for 30k service at the moment.
I queried tracking as it's pulling to left and they quoted me £125 so I told them to leave it,
The service is free and I've also had two new front tyres and brake pads £250 for that little lot.
I didn't realise they did lowering springs etc so might enquire when i go to pick it up in a few mins.
robbieg
Getting There!

Post by robbieg »

£308 fitted for just springs 25/30mm lower.

Won't affect cars warranty and parts warranty included
Other springs could affect warranty
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

The thing is, if they're good springs they shouldn't really adjust the tracking that much. Mine was still within what it should be, think it was like 0.1 degree difference when compared to another polo on standard suspension. IMO you're over reacting.
Dansdad
New

Post by Dansdad »

Not a case of over reacting,
I want the car that my wife and children travel in to be set up correctly and be as safe as possible.
I am a chartered mechanical engineer and lowering the suspension has a serious effect on the cars geometry. How do you know that your car is withinn tolerances? it would suggest that the geometry was checked after fitting!
Geometry set up should be an integral part of the process.
Regards
Dansdad
New

Post by Dansdad »

Final update.

VW have agreed to supply, Fit and carryout 4 wheel alignment, all for the accessories brochure price of £309
Very happy with the outcome.
Regards to all
calvinw1
Bronze Member

Post by calvinw1 »

Dansdad wrote:Not a case of over reacting,
I want the car that my wife and children travel in to be set up correctly and be as safe as possible.
I am a chartered mechanical engineer and lowering the suspension has a serious effect on the cars geometry. How do you know that your car is withinn tolerances? it would suggest that the geometry was checked after fitting!
Geometry set up should be an integral part of the process.
Regards
, have a look on here ; http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 61409.html has all the tolerances,
I checked it myself though, VW didn't :)