AirCon refresh

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrispy.
Gold Member

AirCon refresh

Post by chrispy. »

My aircon is starting to smell so bad that its making me eyes water and my toe curl up..

Has anyone used the aircon bombs that go in the footwell? Or is it best to just pay someone to do it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rik762
Getting There!
Drives: 2017 Polo GTI DSG

Re: AirCon refresh

Post by Rik762 »

Yes - used one from Halfords a couple of years back. It worked very well and solved the smell completely.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

Just by coincidence I picked up a Normfest- Viro, aircon-bomb from Eurocarparts. Not had time to try it yet. (they're on offer at the moment)

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... c5_1051%5E
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

£5!! Not bad..

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I've used the Holts one on my wifes last car and it seemed to work a treat. Just make sure you move the seat forward (think it says in rear footwell) or you'll get it all up the back of the seat instead of in the car. Oh and don't forget to put recirc on, or else it just goes outside. I've made both those mistakes stupidly.
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

Change the pollen/cabin filter, it's usually that that gets mildew in it and starts to honk.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

In the future to stop it smelling switch the aircon off 5 mins before the end of your journey but keep the fan blowing. Will dry it out and stop it going mouldy.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Yeah i normally only put the aircon on if im on an A road or Motorway.. Slow moving traffic or round town, ill have windows down :)

wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

chrispy. wrote:Yeah i normally only put the aircon on if im on an A road or Motorway.. Slow moving traffic or round town, ill have windows down :)

I'm the same. I'm an old school get the windows open when it's sunny man.. :D (not that we've seen much sun this year) I bet if I use the aircon 2-3 times a year it's pushing it.

If I'm honest, I'd happily buy a car with no aircon. But I'm just old and grumpy.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Sometimes Aircon is a godsend! But in a car with 105bhp.. (Maybe less now ive done 60k miles in 4 years) its pushing it..

However, like you said, we dont see a lot of sun during the year so its not a problem 90% of the time :)