Emissions Control Light AND ESP light, low power

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
antoin1984
New
Drives: 6R 2010 1.2 70PS

Emissions Control Light AND ESP light, low power

Post by antoin1984 »

Hello there,

I have a 2010 1.2 70PS and just today the Emissions control light and the ESP light come on solid.
The car also drives a lot slower and hasn't got as much grunt that the mighty 1.2 normally has.

I'm no expert, but these two issues do not seem to be related, why would the ECU find fault with two completely different things at the same time and put my car into limp mode?

I'm just asking now in case I get hoodwinked by the garage tomorrow, who I'll hopefully be able to get an appointment with.

Thanks for your help

Antóin
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Emissions Control Light AND ESP light, low power

Post by alexperkins »

Emissions and ESP coming on solid means a serious failure from the ECUs perspective. Youve probably got a coil pack failure or similar.
antoin1984
New

Post by antoin1984 »

Thanks for the info.
So if it was a coil pack, is it one of these?
http://www.carpartgiant.co.uk/Products/ ... Packs.aspx
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Might also be a manifold sensor or wiring issue. is it OK power-wise until 3000 revs?
Certainly check plugs leads to make sure nothing has come loose as it's a no cost option but I would expect lumpy misfiring engine if that was the case. Might be a dealer service job.
saty
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r 1.6tdi

Post by saty »

I'd get the codes read before buying any parts
antoin1984
New

Post by antoin1984 »

Yeah I'm not buying anything yet. I've made an appointment with a service station for tomorrow morning.
Will update tomorrow.
There is noticeably less power up to 3000 revs in my opinion, but it's still drivable.
Not going to drive it again until I have to take it to the station, luckily it's a completely downhill journey.
antoin1984
New

Post by antoin1984 »

Timing Chain stretched and engine timing out by 2 teeth.

This has been a nightmare, thought chains weren't supposed to degrade! 62k miles on clock.

Took it to service station I normally get services from, they got a guy in to diagnose it, said they couldn't fix it but knew someone who could for 600.
Rang around and found Arnold Clark Volkswagen in Rutherglen, Glasgow, would do it for 319, which was by far the cheapest.
Paid for the diagnostic at the first place, paid to have the car uplifted and taken to Arnold Clark.

Arnold Clark, then lost my key, then a day later found it again.
Then told me that I was mis-quoted, the guy quoted me for a timing belt and not a chain - it would be 850, not 319 as I was previously told.
Then it was going to cost me 75 quid for the diagnostic.

I had heard from multiple sources that it was unlikely to be a timing chain but more likely to be a sensor fault or something so I decided to get a second opinion on the initial diagnosis.

Heard back from them yesterday that it was indeed the timing chain and luckily the engine was still in good nick.
They also told me that it would still be 850 plus 75 for the diag.

I rang around again and found a decent place that would do the job for 400.
Rang Arnold Clark and told them I was getting it uplifted again and that I wasn't paying full price for the diagnostic as they had f****d me about with misquoting me and losing my key.
They said they would only charge 30 quid for the diagnostic.
Still a hard pill to swallow but at least I know for sure what's wrong with it now.

Car is being uplifted this morning and taken to garage to get fixed for 400, should have it back by Friday. Been a week now without a car which is the worst part. Basically stranded up where I live.

:evil:
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Exact same thing happened to me at the start of the year f, 64k miles, timing chain faliure. 1900 worth of damage. Volkswagen NOT INTERESTED
antoin1984
New

Post by antoin1984 »

Damn 1900, that EURO, GBP or Dollars??
Did the timing chain failure cause engine damage too? Is that why it cost so much?
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Unfortunately my timing chain failure caused full bottom half engine damage. Luckily not entire engine damage. Bottom half was rebuilt.