11 Plate GTi creeping forward with handbrake on

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
MiQ
New
Drives: Polo GTi

11 Plate GTi creeping forward with handbrake on

Post by MiQ »

Hi, new to the forum and owning a Polo.

Can't believe I didn't notice this on test drive (never owned an auto or DSG) but having just collected my car I've noticed that when the handbrake is on the car tries to drive away.

When the footbrake is depressed the clutch engages but when stationary with the handbrake on the car is trying to drive away and pushes against the brakes. If the handbrake isn't on fully then it will actually start moving forward and when you do take the handbrake off it lurches forward a bit.

Never owned an auto or DSG of any kind but I'm assuming this isn't the correct behaviour for a DSG gearbox.

Tried reading up on it bit can't find a definitive answer. The car was owned by a disabled person before and some posts suggest this may have something to do with it if it was previously converted to be driven using hands instead of legs.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

Thanks.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 11 Plate GTi creeping forward with handbrake on

Post by iichel »

if you have the car in D and release the foot brake, it will indeed crawl forward
MiQ
New

Post by MiQ »

Even with the handbrake on ?

That means every time I stop I have to keep the footbrake pressed or put it in Neutral. Kinda defeats the object of having an automatic car.

My dad has a Powershift Ford with a similar Dual Clutch box and his doesn't attempt to creep forward with the handbrake on.
Willoughbyyy
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco R 2015

Post by Willoughbyyy »

Yes even with the handbrake on. The footbrake acts in turn as the clutch if you look at it that way, once its released you'll move. Quickly swapping to park or keeping the footbrake pressed isn't much of a hardship imo. However some auto/dsg cars when the footbrake is fully depressed a light will pop on and you can release the brake and remain stationary until the accelerator is pressed, but not on a polo unfortunately.. If you try stop the car with the handbrake while in drive, or as i've seen others both the footbrake and accelerator pressed (an attempt at launch control) you will slip/burn the clutch out
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

You will soon get used to it and no longer see it as a problem. If you think it through you might reach the conclusion that leaving a car in drive whilst being restrained by a braking system that only works of half the wheels and can easily be accidentally released is probably not a good idea in any circumstances.
MiQ
New

Post by MiQ »

I wouldn't say the handbrake is easy to accidentally release. Restraining half the wheels isn't a problem either. At least it's never been a problem in every other car I've ever had.

Just noticed that the selected Gear number on the dash is alternating flashing between the gear number and a spanner too. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow so we'll see.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Let's hope the garage can rectify any problem and return the car to rude health. If you have doubts about your car, no matter how small it tends to undermine your confidence and takes the fun out of motoring, something no enthusiast wants.

I've owned cars that if not parked facing upwards on a gradient could slide down the hill with their rear wheels locked or had sufficient power "on the flat" to drive off at some speed with the rear wheels locked by the handbrake, it's all a question of weight distribution and or power to weight ratio. The Oldsmobile Tornado, a seven litre FWD monster or an ADO25 Mini with a highly tuned motor provide excellent examples of each phenominum.

I've only experienced accidental release of the handbrake on cars with fly off handbrakes or a brake lever between the drivers seat and the door but there were 52 deaths in the US last year attributed to just that and it is in the British Motor Insurers top 30 causes for accidental damage. No body tells porkies to their insurers do they!! :D
MiQ
New

Post by MiQ »

Thats why I'm getting it checked out, just for peace of mind. If this is how it's supposed to work then I'll get used to it no doubt.