Take a Brake

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Take a Brake

Post by KarlM »

i need some advice regards fitting some new brakes, i was looking at my car today and the discs looked lost behind the 18s (not quite as bad with the 17s) so i'm wanting to fill the gap a bit.

I can't afford a big disc conversion (if theres even one available) so what i'm wanting to know is how difficult is it to fit standard Golf GTi or G60 discs to my car? would i need new calipers, bells and brackets? or is it a straight swap?

These are the only way i can think of getting bigger brakes on a budget, but if any one else has any suggestions, i'm open to them.

Thanks in advance.

Karl
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Can someone help please!!! :cry: the MOTs looming and i need new brakes!!!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

well if your upgrading to bigger brakes for looks then you might as well get some fake discs as bigger brakes take longer to heat up and thus longer to get into operating temp
if you feel that you NEED a bigger brake then possibly look into ibiza`s cos the cuprta brakes might fit but i have never really looked into that avenue
what wrong with the stock brakes that would affect the MOT? if its that the pads are worn then check and see if you can get another set of pads on without going past the minimal thickness of the disc as this will tide you ove ntil you can afford a real kit. for a really cheep pad that is staggering on performance then get on the blower to GSf (they have a branch in kirkstall) and enquire about a set of padgid blue pads as i used to use them exclusivly on my mk3 golf and found that they wernt bad on life and could pin you to the dash even thiou there only 9 quid a set (iirc)
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

The discs and pads are worn (got a nice little lip on the disc now :twisted: ). The performance isn't really my main concern, as with the 17/18s i don't really get up too speeds to have to stop that quickly. :oops:

My main aim is to increase the presence of the discs, they look really smalled and are completly dwarfed by the wheels :roll:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I've considered bigger brakes myself, but I'm a bit lost really.

There's the option of the 256mm Gti brakes, which are a bit better than the 239mm 75hp ones I have now. Too bad I'll need new calipers, discs, carriers... and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Then there's the option of the G60 brakes (because of the 4-stud fitment), but I've no clue as to how to fit 'em.

I'll have to talk to a professional, for sure.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

How about some 256mm's off a 16v ?
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Thats the direction i think i'm leaning towards now. Does anyone know what i'd need to change to get 16v discs on?
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I would have thought you will need callipers, carriers and obviously discs and pads. Some x-drilled or grooved discs would look good behind your wheels too.