Fitting Hella Raintronic to the Mark3

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Fitting Hella Raintronic to the Mark3

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

Tools required: Phillips screwdriver, torch.

This kit is nice and easy to install, just plugging in in place of your standard intermittent wiper relay.

There are two possible ways of fitting it. One would be to apply the sensor to the windscreen (following Hella's instructions), and then run the wire to the left of the windscreen in preparation for installing the relay. The other which was the one I chose was to install the relay first, and then fit the sensor.

The relay you are replacing is located uderneath the dash, and is accessible by removing the shelf from below the glovebox. The shelf is held in place by 5 screws, 3 of which are easily accessible, the other two are hidden by the centre console.

After removing the shelf and centre console, you can now get access to the underside of the dash. This is where the torch comes in. The relay you want is hidden behind some wiring, but is clearly distinguishable, as it is the only one displaying any text on it (far right hand side).

(This is what the relay should look like.)

Now placing the Hella relay unit in the now vacant slot (text facing down, as standard one), you will need to route the wire to the sensor unit. I found that you can tuck the wire between the dash, and the shell, and then run the wire up to the pillar for the windscreen.

(Note there is a slight recess that will allow you to run the thick wire from under the dash.)

After running the wire up the dash board, I found the next best way to go was to route the wire between the dash and where the speaker grille sits.

If you then curve the wire back on itself, you can hide the wire under the seal for the windscreen on the left hand pillar when you are happy with the positioning of the sensor.

(Curving the wire back on itself)

(Routing the wire up pillar)

Following the seal for the windscreen, you can route the wire to behind the rear view mirror, and connect this up to your sensor unit. When you are happy with everything, the wire can be tucked under the seal, and everything put back.

The next step will be to set the sensor up which is detailed in the instructions for the kit.

HTH.

Karl.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

So, does it actually work? I'm always a bit wary of automatic gizmos like this.. can you still override the automatic wipers manually with the stalk? I wouldn't like to think that it could be pissing it down and the automatic wipers would somehow fail to notice it...
tainmrk3polo
Bronze Member

Post by tainmrk3polo »

he isnt insured on his car yet (16 days time mind!) and so cant drive it around to let it learn the window
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

The wipers are still manually operational, and what this kit does is adjust the timing on the intermittent function on the wipers, and just that. All other functions are still as was so to speak. Basically similar to fitting the Golf adjustable relay that allows you to manually alter the timing between wipes, where as this kit does it automatically.

Karl.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Oh, right, I thought it was a fully automatic unit.. that's quite a sensible idea really.. I miss having a variable speed intermittent - I'm very picky about my wipers, I like them just so, tend to do it manually because the intermittent annoys me..
pete69zx
Silver Member

Post by pete69zx »

where did u get this kit from & how much was it?

Cheers.
Pete :idea:
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

The kit I was very lucky to come across, as a friend of one of the mark6 owners (no offense intended, I'm just useless with usernames) was selling it.

To buy new they are £110 or there abouts, and are available from Hella dealers.

Karl.
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

I have another one for sale if anyone wants it, again boxed and unused.