Upgrade H7 Headlights to BiXenons in Polo GT TSi

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Upgrade H7 Headlights to BiXenons in Polo GT TSi

Post by ciclo »

I already guessed that your electric installation for the lights was a little special. :wink: The 57 and 58 fuses made me suspect because they both should be of the same value in amps. 7.5A

The first thing you should have told at the beginning is that you had made several modifications to your original H7 headlights/harnesses. :lol:

I also suspect that the ballasts you installed are causing those ambiguities in the results that you mention, as well as the projectors you currently installed on those OEM H4 headlights (mod :), googling :lol: ).
The important thing for your new project (BCM Max/Bixenon -OEM-) is the original installation. As I said, I do not have the original wiring diagrams for your 6R and think it will be very difficult to get them (aren't available in Erwin NAR :wink:)... :o :lol: ... therefore these tests are crucial.

SB57, SB58.... OK (when both fuses = 7,5A)
SB34 (high beam).... OK (if original installation)... with doubts (SB36) due to the special installation you did.

SB39 (low beam) ... weird ... maybe due to relay harness
SB59 (low beam) ... Both? if so, weird ... the same

There are ambiguities as you already suspect due the electrical installation for those projectors/ballasts. Your new BCM Max will not be happy with.

I hope you have taken into account the wires thickness for that electrical installation (relay harness) that produces ambiguities in the fuses tests.

Fuse = the most simple part but the most important part.

If possible, install H7 headlights (in the factory wiring) to make the fuses test again.

Ah!... also check SB49...Static cornering lights? Reverse?
graaja
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GT TSi

Post by graaja »

Apologies. It is totally my mistake I did not mention about the projectors. With all the excitement of the new project, I totally forgot about the projector mod :oops:

I will fit back the H7 headlights and do the tests again.

I have not made any modifications to the OE wiring or fuse layout when doing the projector install. I just created an adapter harness that would plug into the OE wiring harness on one side and to the projectors on the other side. So the OE wiring is intact for this project.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

graaja wrote: I will fit back the H7 headlights and do the tests again.

I have not made any modifications to the OE wiring or fuse layout when doing the projector install. I just created an adapter harness that would plug into the OE wiring harness on one side and to the projectors on the other side. So the OE wiring is intact for this project.
Perfect! :wink:

We wait for the results. (this topic has become a very interesting topic)

Once reliable results are obtained I will do some schemes so you can make your own wiring for the new BCM Max and the original wiring installation.
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

Removed the projectors, installed back the OE H7 headlights, and repeated the tests.

Removed SB34:
Parking lights ok
Low beams ok
High beams not functioning

Removed SB59:
Parking lights ok
Right side low beam ok
Left side low beam not functioning
Both high beams ok

Removed SB39:
Parking lights ok
Right side low beam not functioning
Left side low beam ok
High beams ok

Removed SB57:
Right parking ok
Left parking not functioning
Low beams ok
Both high beams ok

Removed SB58:
Right parking not functioning
Left parking ok
Low beams ok
High beams ok

Removed SB49:
Both fogs off
Reverse light off

From the above tests, is my below understanding correct?
  1. SB34 controls both the high beams
  2. SB59 controls left side (passenger side) low beam
  3. SB39 controls right side (driver side) low beam
  4. SB57 controls left parking light
  5. SB58 controls right parking light
  6. SB49 controls reverse lamp and fog lamps
Regarding SB57 and SB58 fuses being different, I have asked my friend who also has a Polo GT TSi 6R with H7 headlights to send me a photo of his fuse box to compare with my fuse box. Maybe they wrongly populated the fuse in my car in the factory, or the workshop changed it during the regular inspection/service.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Excellent! now everything is correct, the results are as expected. Good job!.

The next step is to install the BCM Max and make the wiring adaptation so that everything works correctly, regardless of whether you install new headlights or not.
I repeat again, wiring adaptation for BCM Max. Bixenon or Led headlights will need their own wiring, the leveling system will need its own wiring, and so on ...

Please list again the equipment you want to install on your Polo. There are several levels in the wiring configuration depending on the equipment you are going to install.

Wiring adaptation levels for BCM Max (named in the following way by me without any kind of scientific basis :lol:)

Basic: if Bixenon or Led.
High: if Bixenon or Led and Automatic Lights. (Requires Rain Light Sensor and AUTO lights switch)
Executive: if Bixenon or Led, Automatic Lights and Light Assist. (Requires Rain Light Sensor, AUTO lights switch, new stalks, 7E0 mirror 8G1, etc...)
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

Hi Ciclo,

Below is the list I have in mind. I will install these one after other.

1. BiXenon headlights and BCM Max 7E0 937 090 B ZWN.
2. Automatic light (and if possible, rain sensing wipers).
3. AFS leveling system.

As of now, I am not planning to install light assist. But if this is an useful feature, would do this later. One more feature I am very much interested to activate later is the automatic closing of rear view mirrors when the car is locked.

I am trying to find a reliable source for the BCM and the BiXenons. I hope to place the order as soon as I find the source.

I request you to please help me by making a set of BCM Max cable harness :)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Ok, first buy the parts and then do the wiring harnesses...

Do you want to install the Dimmer for IC/switches? It's possible.

Without automatic leveling system (AFS)

With automatic leveling system (AFS) for Bixenon
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

ciclo wrote:Ok, first buy the parts and then do the wiring harnesses...

Do you want to install the Dimmer for IC/switches? It's possible.

Without automatic leveling system (AFS)

With automatic leveling system (AFS) for Bixenon
Thanks a lot Ciclo.

Yes. I think I will plan to do the dimmer switch as well, if the new switch has the same mechanical dimensions of the present switch.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Yes, same dimensions.

wait a moment please... and read my next reply...
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

...Volkswagen single parking lights .... one function widely unknown all over the world, even in Europe :mrgreen: ... except for those who read the user manuals.:lol:

It is necessary to take into account the traffic regulations for each country.
Although these lights are not regulated in some countries I consider it advisable to have this function, in any case my opinion is irrelevant. :lol:

here goes:

:arrow: How do they work.
:arrow: A good note
:arrow: Other pics

They will prevent someone from hitting your car in dimly lit areas if you have to temporarily parked the vehicle in a narrow lane.

Perhaps this function is possible with your current stalks and 6R0937087R BCM. :twisted: (two wires, cloth tape to isolate other wires, and VCDS)

Why I mention all this?
Because you have to modify (add two wires, 0,5mm thickness) the parking/side lights installation to install the 7E0 BCM and automatic lights, in this way the BCM will manage your parking/side lights.

How to do it?

Remove Battery ground.
A new wire from T73a/40 bcm 'A' black connector to SB58a fuse (a=input). Remove/isolate original grey/yellow wire SB58a and T17/14 wire light switch connector.
A new wire from T73a/41 bcm 'A' black connector to SB57a fuse (a=input). Remove/isolate original blue/yellow wire SB57a and T17/13 wire light switch connector.
VCDS coding --- BCM ---- Byte13 Bit0 marked

This could be your initial test to prove yourself if you are able to make this simple modification without my help. :wink:
To overcome this test you can not ask me any questions. :lol:

I think you will be able to do it with the information I have provided you. :wink:

It may not work (single parking lights) due to the stalks, but in any case the installation will be correct for your parking/side lights (with your current BCM and also for new project).
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

ciclo wrote:...
How to do it?

Remove Battery ground.
A new wire from T73a/40 bcm 'A' black connector to SB58a fuse (a=input). Remove/isolate original grey/yellow wire SB58a and T17/14 wire light switch connector.
A new wire from T73a/41 bcm 'A' black connector to SB57a fuse (a=input). Remove/isolate original blue/yellow wire SB57a and T17/13 wire light switch connector.
VCDS coding --- BCM ---- Byte13 Bit0 marked

This could be your initial test to prove yourself if you are able to make this simple modification without my help. :wink:
To overcome this test you can not ask me any questions. :lol:
I am willing to take the challenge :)

But before beginning, I have just one comment/question on this exercise.

We are now going to connect the parking lights directly to the BCM, and remove the headlight switch from the circuit. With this change, if I program Byte13 Bit0 in the BCM, this will activate the one side parking light function. As we are not providing any connection from the headlight switch to the BCM (I believe this will be done when we do the BCM update and auto light switch installation), the BCM will not turn on the parking light when I turn on the parking light the headlight switch is set to parking light position? So I will be missing the parking light using headlight switch function till we get the BCM and the related wiring updated.

It may take early January for me to achieve this as there are more work related travel coming up. Meanwhile, I will go ahead and get the headlights and BCM.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Well, I see that you have understood the basic principles of the whole installation that you are going to do. We are on the right way.

It is true that there is a possibility that you do not have this signal that you have previously commented, ... but there are more possibilities for that signal to be present.

Black connector T73a/45. Check it out and tell us if the signal wire is present.
Take photos of that slot/area (if possible) could be very useful for the future. Remember to use the information (links) that I posted from the beginning. :wink:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

To look if the wire is present (T73a/45) just takes a couple of minutes...Image
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

ciclo wrote:To look if the wire is present (T73a/45) just takes a couple of minutes...Image
Hi Ciclo, Apologies for the delay. I will check this and provide feedback by tomorrow.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Ok. :wink: