a few updated pics of the racer

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
polog40racer
Bronze Member

a few updated pics of the racer

Post by polog40racer »

A few updated pics of this track day thing turning into a full on turbo racer...

To this...

To this...

As it is now...

left hand drive now aswell for weight distribution...

SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

cool progress mate! make sure you keep us posted on your progression!

those arches are gonna look cool! :lol:
robz
Gold Member

Post by robz »

looks good, keep us all updated! wot arches r they?
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

Bloody hell talk about a job an a half! Nice job, its gonna look sick!
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

looks good mate!! loving it!!

same question as before.... but what arches!! :shock: :shock: PHAT! :D
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

8) 8) 8) 8)
polog40racer
Bronze Member

Post by polog40racer »

Cheers :D

The arches are Berg Cup ones, the inspiration of my car and alot of the bits that have gone into it. From Sorg Motorsport, but the same can be had from WL-motorsport and KWl too.

hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

What series are you entering in ?
yolmol
Bronze Member
Drives: fISH

Post by yolmol »

all i can see is "this link is no longer here"
polog40racer
Bronze Member

Post by polog40racer »

ah yeah, sorry i changed the name of the folder they were stored in...

Cheers for your comments.

check in here for full pics of everything...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/ ... o%20Racer/

The front end, 1308cc 8500rpm race engine, Jenvey 40mm throttle bodies, VW Motorsport built 1400 16v LSD gearbox, Helix paddle clutch all may be for sale soon, even the GKN built uprated driveshafts and the front space frame aswell.

250bhp (350bhp/ton) just isn't enough in my championship i intend to race in. Looks like we'll drop in a 20v 1.8T in there on my DTA management. My guy, keeps wanting to go Front engined, Rear wheel drive on it to make it the ulimate but ive never driven a mental rear wheel drive car before. I only really know fwd. undecided what to do now, rear wheel drive or keep it on front??

I should only run 300bhp in the 1.8T as thats 420bhp/ton which'll be less stressed than the 1308cc iTB turbo'd engine, and have the advantage of havving more power still. handling isn't a issue running the power. 1.8T isn't a problem fitting as it'll be on a full space frame and not the half one i have coming off the turrets.
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

What diff's in the 'box?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Sounds pretty amazing 8) 250bhp in a polo, that's gotta be quick!
I'm entirely unqualified to say this as I've never raced a car in my life (apart from taking the 1.05 up the drag strip at inters.. but that was hardly a challenge ;) ).
What I'm thinking re the whole rear wheel drive situation is that surely it's best to convert it while you're doing major work to the car anyway, then take a bit of time to learn how the rear wheel drive car behaves, ending up with the best car you can get out of it. Otherwise you're going to end up with a still pretty amazing - but not quite as amazing as it has the potential to be - car which you'll probably regret not taking as far as possible when you had the chance. I apologise if that sentence made little sense, you'll get the gist though ;) I just think it's worth going a step further than you really need to, because otherwise you'll probably end up regretting it later when you could use that little bit extra.
DJ Chris
New

Post by DJ Chris »

thats going to be awesome
polog40racer
Bronze Member

Post by polog40racer »

GroovyCarrot wrote:Sounds pretty amazing 8) 250bhp in a polo, that's gotta be quick!
I'm entirely unqualified to say this as I've never raced a car in my life (apart from taking the 1.05 up the drag strip at inters.. but that was hardly a challenge ;) ).
What I'm thinking re the whole rear wheel drive situation is that surely it's best to convert it while you're doing major work to the car anyway, then take a bit of time to learn how the rear wheel drive car behaves, ending up with the best car you can get out of it. Otherwise you're going to end up with a still pretty amazing - but not quite as amazing as it has the potential to be - car which you'll probably regret not taking as far as possible when you had the chance. I apologise if that sentence made little sense, you'll get the gist though ;) I just think it's worth going a step further than you really need to, because otherwise you'll probably end up regretting it later when you could use that little bit extra.

Cheers for the reply, it made sense.

yeah im having a hard time deciding. RWD does sound fun and I can use a Sierra XR4x4 rear diff and everything from it for free so its just make up the subframe to mount it all. It'd be alot wider than the rear is now of course so do somthing with bodywork and make up a trans tunnel, and sort out a bell housing probably. Been told the handling will be snappy if it goes wrong but if LSD'd which it'll be anyway it should be fine. Drive like a Go-kart kinda. Im worried about the length of the car being so short so be kinda unpredictable, although other people dont seem to think this. I'd learn to drive it on low boost anyway, about 200bhp. Already got a north-south mounted 1.8T engine lying there and gearbox for its so ready for it. Obviously it comes down to a cost thing, which hopefully aint going to be that much ish extra considering ive got the rear section off the sierra already. Going Front wheel drive on it isn't a problem at all, but then like you say i'll regret it after. It'd cost less and the bcar would be ready alot sooner, handling should be still awesome qwith the increased power on FWD as maurice reeves in his MK1 Golf run 480bhp fwd and it flys, well ok handling for it is an big issue after 350bhp. So RWD looks the way to go in terms of future power.
polog40racer
Bronze Member

Post by polog40racer »

well after much deliberating, and watching far too many Berg Cup videos than is healthy.

looks like im going high revving berg cup styley, FWD NA with a 1.8 20v NA engine on Throttle Bodies and DTA. Makes sense in terms of traction and driveability.