Cooling temp warning light on Mk2

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Dan_C
New

Cooling temp warning light on Mk2

Post by Dan_C »

I've just recently bought an '89 Coupe S and everything is fine apart from the fact that the cooling temp warning light has a life of its own and comes on and off regardless of temp.
My car doesn't have the coolant level switch in the expansion tank and the actual coolant temp itself is fine, the thermostat works ok and the fan comes on when it should.
Up until now I've been ignoring it, but its starting to get really annoying! According to the wiring diagram I have, the light works off the same feed as the temp guage is this right? Can anyone shed any light on the problem and how I can fix it?

Cheers
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Try replacing the tempertature senders (on the MK3 GT theres 2 on the water flange) and the rad fan switch. These are a common problem even on modern VW's. Will cost you about £20 for a set for German and Swedish.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Might just add, my rad fan worked fine on my GT but that was still causing the light to come on.

Flamin' things! :evil:
Dan_C
New

Post by Dan_C »

Cheers Nelson :D

I've actually noticed that if the warning light flashes when the ignition is first turned on (which I think its supposed to) then it behaves itself, but if it doesn't, then it seems to flash whenever it wants. :?
Anyway, when it stops raining, I'll get off me arse and give your suggestion a go!

Ta