Evening all, new to this one!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Cometbluecoupe
New

Evening all, new to this one!

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

Hello, im Dan. Im the owner of a 1985 mk2 polo coupe s in rareish Comet blue. Ive had the car for about 3 years, and its served me damn well. She's lowered 40mm (was 70!) has a weber carb, K&N filter and rolls on the original 9 spoke alloys. The body and paint work is a little battered, but there is no rust as such, and when time and funds allow, I plan to restore her fully, and drop a G40 lump in. I look forward to giving and recieving some usefull advice on here, and genrally to chat about these cracking little motors.

Cheers

Dan
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

well good evening sir!

Not much action in this forum... most members have the newer fancier polos, but we leave them all to it!!

thank you for flying uk-polos.net, we hope you have a calm and peaceful journey!!

oh, and fire exits, are here, here, and here!!!
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

Cheers chap!

yep its a shame that the older polos dont get the respect they deserve, I often think if there had been a more powerful mass produced one, they would be regarded in the same light as the mk1/2 golfs are now. I really cant fault them, except for the brakes :lol:....but that just adds to the fun!

I guess it best if they have a somewhat cult following, although it does p*** me off when my mates refer to my much loved polo as a s**t!! :cry:
Bluegirl
New

Post by Bluegirl »

Hello fellow comet blue coupe owner :lol: would be cool if we could get our two together at some point I've only ever once seen another one at a show at the same time as mine be good to have some company!
Mine too needs a respray hopeing to get that done before the show season starts. I know what you mean people refer to mine as old which p****s me off, I love him think hes a great car, well both mine are.
Mk2's rule so much character.
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

Hi liz,

Yep its me, Dan. Also known as Munsta on the other forums. Hope your bluey is going sweetly. mine continues to provide solid performance on the original engine which is now at 132K. I had slight accident in mine the other week, where i left the handbrake off and it slowly rolled down the hill into someones van, mininal damage to the van, considerable to my driverside wing! Never mind!! Bodged it up for now, but will need a new wing when i have the money.

How are you planning to go about the respray, and how much do you reckon will it cost, perhaps we could do a joint venture if the paint is cheaper that way!? Can you just respray the outside, as my inside is more or less mint. I defo plan a whole new front end and doors for mine. Then on the engine, My head says GT, but heart says G40, or small block 1.6! I Dont really think the GT engine will give much increase in performance over my weber carbed HK.

I agree it would be cool to see two retro electric blue mk2's together at a show, we'll have to make it happen someday.... :)
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Cometbluecoupe wrote:My head says GT, but heart says G40, or small block 1.6!
Small block 1.6 on twin carbs? That'd be pretty cool, though I think you might be able to use a GT head and run the 1.6 on GT injection too - sure someone else will be able to tell you for sure.
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

Yeah I reckon the 1.6 would possibly be the favorite, as even in standard form it produces more torque than the 3F GT engine. I Thinkit would be possible to run this engine with an MH engine head, and use my existing twin choke weber 32/34, and then retain much of the original engine electronics, and ignition. To be honest in fairly keen on avoiding the Digfant igniton because it will mean changing all the wiring, and its harder to know how to fix it your self if it goes wrong (black box stuff aint it) At least you know where you stand with carbs. The twin webers would also be fun, but they might compromise the practicallity of the car which will remain daily driven, rumour is they drink fuel, and go out of tune every week.

The 1.6 could also be more easily obtained in low milage form, as i believe mk3 and even mk4 golfs use the engine too (as well as the later polos). Any ideas how much a low milage 1600 could be obtained for?
Bluegirl
New

Post by Bluegirl »

I wish mine still had his HK engine :cry: never mind the MH is doing really well with the added benefit of 5 speed box and alloy rocker cover.
My interior is ok i took the carpet out and hammerited the floor because i don't want it to rust and it was just leaking.
I'm just going to get some dents taken out on the passenger wing and rust treated behind the spoiler and the outside painted, going to start looking round its not going to be cheap though! I have a cpmpressor and paint is pretty cheap so all we need to do is find someone who can spray!
I really want to keep my stripes so will have to get some more made up somewhere before he goes in but should be easy enough I'll get another set made when I do just in case.
If you do change your engine can you let me know if you want to rehome the HK please?
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

Hello guys! Glad too see some activity on this forum at last!
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

lol i don't care what anyone says in my opinion MkII polos rule when it comes to funability :D

great fun to drive even more fun to throw down the country lanes (where possible)

and then fuckin hilarious wiping the floor with other cars and watching their face drop (polo2k :wink: )

i love these cars and i always will. sheer class and only beaten by the MkI golf 1.8GTi :D
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i dont want to go too far into this for fear of embaresment but 3 words:
crisp packet
cornering ;)
Cometbluecoupe
New

Post by Cometbluecoupe »

Yeah i agree the handling is pretty crisp.... 8)

With a bit of modification they handle really well, better than the lardy newer ones anyway, seen the video in the "ooh baby" post?

Its true to say though, they arent the grippiest, but that only adds to the fun!
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

oh yess.... so much fun in such a little car! i love the MANUAL feeling, no power steering, no servo in breaks, jus plain GO 4 IT!!! lol, jus recently changed the wheels to 15", 195/45! this makes the handling SOOO much better! still, love the 145 wheels!!! LOL SCRRREEEECCCCHHHH!!!!!