How do i get more power??

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
polokris
Silver Member

How do i get more power??

Post by polokris »

rite, i got a 1.0 '89, got a K&N, and a janspeed back box, and a jetta fuel pump.... NO difference, what else could i do, and what is the most power i can get out of it, with out going too mad, and cost is an issue, i dont want to strip the interior, jus want more power, and a deeper noise??

any help or suggestions will be good!!! thanx

Kr!s
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

Alright Kris man,

Possibilities:

Take the head off and polish the hell out of it. cost nowt but lots of elbow grease.

Take the zorst manifold off & get it bored out. Acoording to Mk2matt, VW deliberatly restricted this item as the uk mk2 has no brake servo. Hiflowheads do this for £50 & p&p.

http://www.hiflowheads.co.uk/

under hiflow manifolds.

New cam - a bit pricey but you will see a good return in power.

Twin Carbs - I have a set of Dellorto 40's to put on for inters, cost £100 off e-bay, need manifold (£50) and linkage kit (£35) plus fitting/rejetting & tuning so can get a bit pricey but you will see 20bhp gain at least depending on other mods.

that should keep you busy for a bit mate! :shock:
Tim
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

thanx deevub, dunno bout the last option, wanna keep as much fuel consuption aswell u c.... soz, didnt mention that bit lol

and polishing the head??? how, and what is the easyest way of doing that?

thanx alot!

Kr!s
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

if you wanna keep fuel consumption down, then tuning really isnt for you.

simple. more power = more fuel used.

but.... how much power are you expecting to get out of a 1.0???

is it even worth doing anything to it??

save your pennies, and g40 it later... or buy something fast when you have the money.
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

ok ok.... i dont mean it like that..... i do want more power, and i do expect the fuel to go up....
BUT.... not by fittin twin carbs, cos that is like a petroliam suckin fish in a bowl of petrol!!! LOL

but i wann keep the costs to a minimum, jus want a little more go thats all, and im keepin the car for a while, coz if i sell it, ill only get pennys for it ne ways
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

yeah I can understand that.

Get a haynes manual, it will tell you how to remove the cylinder head, then clean up & polish all the interals. This along with the exhaust manifold will mean you get a boost in power with no noticable hike in f/c.

I'm taking my head off (!) this week & will try to post some pics mate.
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

how do, im in the same boat polokris, also got a 1.0 breadvan and want a bit more power as ill have it till it dies. cheers deevub for the manifold thing, have to get that sorted. does anyone know where you could get a new cam for a mk2 polo as none of the shops seem to sell mk2 polo stuff.
thanks
oh yeah, has anybody done the golf disc thang? just wondering how easy/hard it is? ta
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

d4did, check the useful mk2 website thread, theres a link for cams there.
good luck!
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

thanks dude just saw ithe other post, i got a 1043cc version but i least i have some where to start from. thanks alot. :D
sorry, another question, if u get a set of webbers of dellortos, is it just a case of gettin the right manifold for your car? only ive seen some cheap 'uns on ebay but for fords, could u just change the manifold?
thanks,
dave
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

O.K heres the deal, The actual carbs are all the same units. the diference being the jets are diferent. Those ford carbs are prob jetted for a 1.6/1.8L which means you would need to get them re-jetted for a 1.1 & then tuned on a rolling road. After this to keep them running at there optimum they should be tuned every 6-8 months. Its only really worth doing if you are fairly serious about the car. Mk2Matt came down & took me for a spin in his car with twin webers & a straight thru zorst & it was so much more pokey & top end was r/r'd at 120mph+!!! FUN :shock:

That's with standard cam but uprated zorst manifold. proper bo!

try this link for info on heads. cams, etc

http://www.tsr-performance.com/
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

btw heres a pic of Matts beast called LuLu, on the way up to Leicester meet last w/end. The twin carbs sound amazing!

D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

sounds crazy, really serious about tuining, just gotta save the pennies 1st, more for the insurence being only 19. that need for speed link was well helpful, i think every needs to say thanks for that 1, dont really wanna get paid now cuz its all gonna go to them :( :D
thanks for the info on the carbs, expect a pointlessly tuned up 1043cc breadvan in the next few months :D
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

all good!

for carbs check E-bay, you should get a decent set for 100pounds, if you can't find any, pm me & I will sort you out the e-mail of the guy in Italy where I got mine.
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

thanks, i might have to take you up on that deevub, at least ill no theyll be ok. had a look on ebay and theres some weber twin 40s and delorto twin 40s' for sod all money but im realy not sure if theyll be alright on my car, (there all from sunbeams and fords) is that like what you got? :?
(sorry to keep bothering you like this) :lol:
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

the carbs don't change, just the jetting. Like I said:

"The actual carbs are all the same units. the diference being the jets are diferent. get them re-jetted for a 1.1 & then tuned on a rolling road."

just buy the carbs & then get them set up for your car?!?

labortoir Garnier - rodney>