Will this melt my car?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
ywouldi
New

Will this melt my car?

Post by ywouldi »

I have been looking at the power bulbs website and have been looking at these with interest.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/products/prod ... 12V90/100W

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of using these in a MK2 Polo and were there any adverse affects, i.e. did the massive power drain stop the battery charging properly etc?

Thanks

Ben Newham
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

They'll obviously draw a higher current than normal bulbs, so for starters you might want to uprate your wiring loom - I'm not sure what current rating the exisiting wiring is. However, an easy way round is to run new wires (10A rating or higher) from the battery for the lamps, and have them switched by a relay connected to your existing headlamp loom.

With the wiring sorted the only worry then would be whether the alternator can provide enough current. I'd have thought it could if all the electrics are healthy.
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

well there are a few points:-

you're looking to draw twice the current of a normal bulb so that you you're switches and wiring may not be able to take the current, and could possibly fuse and melt. The bulbs themselves are illegal for road use, and think of the poor sod that you're gonna be blinding with them
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Dom has a point, though I've never tried the bulbs so I don't know how bright they are. The new HID style headlamps dazzle me and really p*** me off. Might be best just to uprate the loom and keep standard bulbs - apparently this helps a lot as there's a fair amount of voltage drop through the standard loom.
ywouldi
New

Post by ywouldi »

Yeah thats what I though might happen!

I hate those projector style lamps as well, they do my head in! If someone has them behind you every little bump in the road results in their beam hitting my mirrors straight into my eyes. And the people that drive around with fog lights on, dont even get me started.

Looks like I will just buy the standard though uprated bulbs sold on that site, the polo lights are awful, when I drive my car after driving my dads new car I have to check the lights are working properly!

Thanks

BEn
gtimike
New

Post by gtimike »

tis best to uprate the wiring by relay driving the lamps and fit genuine hella bulbs