Lights- Again!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
ywouldi
New

Lights- Again!

Post by ywouldi »

So I took the forums advice and didnt bother with the rally lights, instead I ordered a set of standard lights from Powerbulbs, the Osram Silverstar H4.

H4 was the recommended fitting on the powerbulbs site but it doesnt seem to go, the metal ring is too small. I cannot see a similar looking fitting on the website.

Anyone know the actual type of fitting used on a C reg MkII polo, the haynes manual has proved useless!

Thanks

YWI
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

I thought they were all the same on Mk2's, bit my F reg definately has H$ bulbs
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

They might be the older non-Halogen type lights - is it type 410 or something like that? The later Mk2s and Mk3s should all have H4 bulbs - in which case your new ones should fit straight in.
ywouldi
New

Post by ywouldi »

I think you are right, they are non halogen, i.e a big round bulb? I am annoyed now as I thought they would be a direct replacement and I have a feeling Powerbulbs will tell me to bugger off!

ywi
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

If it's a big round bulb, you've got the older type headlamps. Not sure whether there's a few simple parts to buy to upgrade or whether you'd be better off buying a complete set of lamps from a scrappy.

It's worth checking the classifieds on the Polo sites (and Ebay too) to see if anyone's breaking Mk2 Polos that could help you with parts. In fact, I think there's a guy on Porka.net having a huge clearout of Mk2 bits - worth asking there.
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

nope just nip down to your nearset halfords and they actually do the bosch bulbs with the same fitment and even better the same code :D

look for the yellow pack bosch bulbs 410 you will find a higher powered bulb with the bigger fitting
gtimike
New

Post by gtimike »

if u look in halfords u will find two different types
they do a halogen bulb with the tungsten type back fitting
hope this helps :P
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

and who said halfords were crap :D
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

nice one mate, halfords aren't that bad are they?
yeah the early mk2 cam with the big ol round bulbs, but there is a halogen bulb with the same round end as ur existing bulbs, this will improve ur lighting up front. however, if i were u, i would go to the scrappy n pick up a couple of h4 type lamps, these improve lighting no end and they won't be that expensive!

i did this on my old mk2, n i was amazed at the difference!