MOT - Steering Column

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
juice_josh
New

MOT - Steering Column

Post by juice_josh »

hi all, my car (vw polo mk4) has been for its MOT recently and been told its about £200-£230 worth of work, havnt got all the details as my step dad spoke to them but i think its, new tyres.. break switch..front brake hose..rear brake pipe.. and some welding...maybe some more but not too sure..
ive now been told that i need a new steering column, as this is why my car wont start sometimes. (i thought it was originally the battery) and said they are easy to fit and cost around £30 from scarpyards..
Can anyone shed any light if the steering column would have anything to do with not starting some times? and are they easy to fit?

Thanks Josh
Coma
New

Re: MOT - Steering Column

Post by Coma »

I had a similar problem with my last polo, can you bump it?
juice_josh
New

Post by juice_josh »

if you mean bump it like starting it with jump leads.. then yes... and it occasionally starts normally now and then.
do you know what it could be? steering column?
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

I meant push it and turn the key as its moving whilst in gear.
I dont know i had a similar problem, though it was down to a wire in the ignition or some shizz. It was also down to the lead supplying power to the engine(i cant remember what it was called) which was loose, and ran out of lubricant

Dont know if it'll help, worth checking though, or atleast getting a second opinion at another garage?
juice_josh
New

Post by juice_josh »

ok thanks, im off to pic the car up tomora morning with my step dad so ill ask them when i get there, cheers for the replys :-)
juice_josh
New

Post by juice_josh »

turns out that its the ignition barrel, the guy at the garage took his ignition barrel out of his vw and put connected it to mine and it started fine, then when he connected mine back up it wouldnt start, so obviously need a new one..
he said it will be easyier to get the whole steering column and just swap it then try and take the ignition out
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

Same as mine then, though my local garage took mine out n replaced some parts n put it bk in
juice_josh
New

Post by juice_josh »

lol, me and step dad had a go at taking it out but were abit stuck lol, haynes manual gives crap descriptions lol, and we need a 2 legged clamp to get the ignition barrel off, instead of taking all the column out
juice_josh
New

Post by juice_josh »

bit of an update on this, i think we have the steering column out now, but its just hard to find a replacement one in my area, i know that i could get a ignition barrel from near me, which is all i need really, but its just the fact i cant get mine or any other ignition ive seen on polos in scrapyards off. anyone got any tips or know how to get the ignition off the steering column as it would be 100x easier and quickers for me and alot cheaper
Coma
New

Post by Coma »

Buy a new polo xd.
No idea here mate
goodluck.