how to remove and fit rear valance

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

how to remove and fit rear valance

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Hi, anyone know how to remove and replace the rear valance on these? Ive just managed to scuff mines against a concrete plant pot. Feel so stupid about it, but if anyone could give me a guide that would be very helpful
Thanks
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: how to remove and fit rear valance

Post by Ben90 »

1. Pull
2. Refitting is the reverse of removal :lol:

If you mean the lower black valance that is. If you have mudflaps then you'll want to remove them first. Otherwise it's just a case of pulling from one corner and letting the clips pop out. Getting it back in is a pig and you may need a hammer wrapped in a t shirt to 'persuade' the last two clips back in.

If it's the whole bumper, here's an excerpt i found online:

Start by removing the tail light clusters. Fold the luggage compartment trim in area of tail light to one side. Completely remove the securing bolt. Push the tail light upwards to release the tail light from the locking hooks. Remove the tail light. Release and separate the electrical connector.Remove the 4 bolts that are now visible (under tail lights). Next unscrew the bolt from under each rear wheel arch. Undo the 3 bolts under the rear of of the bumper cover. Then pull the cover off the guides (left and right-hand sides) and then lift it off the securing strip along the top of the bumper. Separate the electrical connection for number plate light. Depending on why you are removing the rear bumper you may need to undo the 6 nuts holding the bumper carrier on
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Took mine off last weekend to fit a gti one.

It's easy, there are 3 screws underneath and then one in each wheel arch all T25 if I'm not mistaken. The rest is held on by clips so you just have to pull starting from one end, the clips are absolute bastards so you have to pull quite a bit.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

I mean the lower black plastic trim, is there any screws i need to remove, or just basically start pulling from one side and work my way
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Ladiesman_317 wrote:I mean the lower black plastic trim, is there any screws i need to remove, or just basically start pulling from one side and work my way
Yeah there are 3 Torx T25 screws underneath in these locations:

Then there are just clips holding the valance onto the bumper.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Lucaio wrote:
Ladiesman_317 wrote:I mean the lower black plastic trim, is there any screws i need to remove, or just basically start pulling from one side and work my way
Yeah there are 3 Torx T25 screws underneath in these locations:

Then there are just clips holding the valance onto the bumper.
cheers bud, you're a star.