hi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Grant-J
New

hi

Post by Grant-J »

Hi all, new to the site and don't own a polo yet. Currently have a megane mk2 dci.
Got rid of my 106gti around 2 years ago when I settled down (not a practical car with 2 buckets and stripped out), so the time has come to look for another toy.

So I'm keeping an eye out for a low mileage 6nr2, don't particularly mind if its a gti or not as i can always drop a lump in when I can.

Quick question though about vagcom?- where can I get it and does it need to be run from a windows laptop?

Thanks all
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Re: hi

Post by TriggerFish »

Welcome :)

VAGCOM needs to run on Windows, yes. I think it needs to be 32bit for the older versions but I think the later ones can do 64 bit installs. A VM might work if you can find drivers for the cable.

I got mine via a cheap eBay cable which gives you access to the 'lite' version for reading codes/data logging. You can fiddle around with this to make it perform coding functions too. The full, proper version is £££ and can be got from Ross-Tech, who make it. Given how little you can code of these, I'd stick with the free version and a cheap cable!
Grant-J
New

Post by Grant-J »

As long as I can recode central locking and the cruise control etc I don't mind paying for the Ross tech version.

Still on the prowl for a 6n2, possibly looking to spend 1.5-2k for a clean example, do you think this is OK? I don't mind mods as long as there along the lines of coilys/dished rims.
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

What you looking to do with the central locking? The 'auto lock at speed' and stuff doesn't work on the 6n2, and nor does the selective unlocking (where only the driver's door opens initially).

Should be possible, mines up for sale in the next day or two and is a clean, well maintained example IMO (I'm yet to see one better in the flesh anyway!) and would be within your budget.
Grant-J
New

Post by Grant-J »

I wanted to fit an rclick.

I would love to say I have all the money to buy one now but I'm waiting for a cheque and have been told it can take up to 6 weeks to arrive and then a week to clear, I don't want to commit to buy without having the money cleared as I don't want someone waiting on me and turning others away. I have found a mint looking 77k, 3 door in silver with service history, but it has an iffy clutch (will replace with OE or Sachs if I pay the extra), and the garage would be willing to pay half the cost of a gearbox refurb (place of my choice within reason), for £1900. If i trade my megane in against it then they have valued mine and will give an additional £1100, but I don't want to get rid of a daily driver and track the miles up on the polo :/
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Ah, I don't think they'l. Need coding. If you get a gti it has rcl anyway.

I'm in no rush to sell mine anyway, but it's interesting to hear what your money will get you.
Grant-J
New

Post by Grant-J »

I didn't realise they were remote, my bad.

Any chance of any more info on yours? I'm looking online, but the price seems to vary so much for them I'm not sure whether I'm getting my pants pulled down. If seen low mileage around £1500, high mille age around the £2k mark and dribs and drabs in between
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Yep, remote with an alarm system. Some of the non-GTis were RCL too, but not all. I can't remember if it was an option, or part of a trim level either.

I'll get a full advert up at some point but off the top of my head it's:

90k miles (just under)
new box and clutch at about 60-70k (invoice with mileage on somewhere)
pedal box recall done
wheels were refurbed and are nearly perfect except a small mark on one rim/lip
red, 3 door
tax for 5 months left
it's got an MOT, but not much left. It's done less than 300 miles since the last MOT, so I doubt it'll fail, so I'll get a full year's put on prior to selling. On the last MOT it failed due to an exhaust hanger, but once that was repaired it sailed through. It also got an advisory for a missing mirror cap (being resprayed), which seemed odd.

The car was SORN for a while (about 2 years), while I was at uni, so there's a 'gap' in the service history were it wasn't being driven. Otherwise it's got FSH up until being SORN'd, and has been serviced by myself just before I got it on the road at the start of May. (Air filter, coil, plugs, leads, oil/filter).
I've got a folder full of old invoices dating back until the car was about 2-4 years old. I replaced the C/L pump at the start of May, as well as one of the ABS sensors (but I bought all 4 in case the others failed soon after coming out of SORN).

Completely standard now, but the mod I did do were brakes (see: http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... =7&t=55945) and a set of Recaro seats from a Golf (never fully fitted).

Paint is pretty good, there's some stone chips up front, put nothing to worry about IMO. There's a few parking dents and a small mark in the rear bumper/boot lid (I've got a spare bumper for the rear, but it needs tidying up really which I ran out of time to do). None detract from the car though IMO. It's not perfect, but it still looks good IMO and gets positive comments about its condition so can't be too bad. . .

I've no idea on value yet (as I've not looked - only finished uni yesterday!), but I'd guess around £1.7 - £1.8k?
Grant-J
New

Post by Grant-J »

Sounds great from what iv read, the brakes are back to standard now? How far away are you from south Wales if I was to visit to have a look at her? Most of what I'm looking for has been met with regards to servicing/peddle box/gearbox, and really wanted as close to standard as I could find (don't mind a set of wheels and lowering, just didn't want one with cutouts for an exhaust etc).
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Yep, brakes are back to standard (256mm), although I've got a set of G60s hanging around still I've been meaning to sell which I can throw in if you want? (sans disks though) The current brakes have loads of life left anyway I think. I think it came with a warped disk, so I replaced the lot and then upgraded shortly after, so the originals are pretty unused. The only other thing I changed with it was the radio HU, which is again back to standard.

In the interest of honestly, given the distance, I forgot to mention the driver's window is a bit slow to go up and often needs a bit of assistance. It needs a new regulator/motor, but I've never got around/felt the need to doing it.

I'm about 2.5 hours away from Cardiff (biggest city I know of in s. Wales!). When I got this, I trekked about 2 hours over to the East coast to get the car.

There's some pictures of the car here from a couple of weeks ago when I cleaned it: http://s660.photobucket.com/user/Trigge ... ale%202013 (I didn't clean the wheels as I couldn't find a cloth/brush suitable. I've got the wheel bolt covers somewhere too, I left them off while it was SORN so they didn't get taken.