Can you be too old for a GTI?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ratovan2
New
Drives: none

Can you be too old for a GTI?

Post by ratovan2 »

I am 50 this year and I was looking at getting a brand new Polo Bluegt but really want a Polo GTI.
My Mrs thinks that I am too old for a GTI, now I an pretty bald, only 5`7" tall and certainly not muscular or trendy but too old? nah.
So how old is too old for a GTI, when should I be settling for the sensible car? I am thinking the hearse that carries my sad old carcass to its final resting place.
So what do people think.
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Re: Can you be too old for a GTI?

Post by rsmagee »

No, of course not! I pray when im 50 il still be allowed a Gti!

The only people that would judge what you drive are not worth worrying about!
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by Bigtam »

No way! I am 50 this year I just got rid of my Fiesta ST 180 for a polo GT but only because I wanted 4 doors and something a bit cheaper to run turns out it's a lot cheaper to run :D
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Of course not, my 86 year old friend has just swapped his Lotus Evora for a Porsche Caymen. I regard folk of your age as young whippersnappers so get your GTi and enjoy it. I'm currently thinking about a Caterham Seven as a 70th birthday present for my self.

PS. Said 86 year young's immediately previous cars were a Maseratti and a Porsche 911 Turbo and I would be very surprised to find anybody who could out drive him.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Your never to old for a hot hatch. :P
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

Just brought mine at age 55 - I consider it a safer, more pleasant place to be at my age compared to a 'normal' car. Speed can get you out of some pretty hairy situations once you've calmed down enough to be sensible about how you normally drive.

The old quotation from William Morris springs to mind whenever I buy something that is 'more than needed to do the job' - "Never buy or own anything you do not know or believe to be beautiful".

Life's too short to not take pleasure where you can, if you can afford it - at age 50 you now know time is probably limited to enjoy such things anyway.

On a serious note - the GTI is incredibly practical for everyday life in everything except boot space. It'll do mid-40's mpg on the motorway and around 30 about town if you're not booting it, so you can even play frugal if you wish. Of course the little 'Sport' Button and 192 bhp means that not every gallon is going to be economical...

PS - When I say 'my car' what I mean is it's in my name. Unfortunately the other half enjoys it even more than I do, so I rarely get to drive it. The walk does me good at my age anyway :-)
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

She might not be so keen to drive a draughty Caterham! No I'm not on commission!
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

Ricmondo wrote:She might not be so keen to drive a draughty Caterham! No I'm not on commission!
She actually likes the Caterham too - next door neighbour had a 140bhp race prepared one that we had the odd drive in. It's not so great on the commute though as you tend to get a bit wet... I had a great trip in it to Le Mans one year though - stunning fun car and I'd have the CSR if I had the money to run a summer only car.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Just noticed your tag, I used to live in Penarth 30 something years ago, went back a little while back, hasn't changed much (I'm glad to say).
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

Ricmondo wrote:Just noticed your tag, I used to live in Penarth 30 something years ago, went back a little while back, hasn't changed much (I'm glad to say).
I've been here or close-by for most of my 55 years - I have to say it went through a dip but is really starting to buzz now as the Cardiff Bay factor really kicks in. The ability to walk from my house over the barrage and into the Centre of Cardiff has transformed part of my life. Fabulous place on many levels - but the ability to walk to interesting places is the key one for me as I get on in years. Odd thing to say having just bought a GTI but I consider driving to be an occasional activity now, and one I'd prefer to enjoy when I do it.
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

Nice to hear that, I lived next to Ty Turner. The only sad thing when I went back was that Tony's Sea Shore Pizza shop had gone. I found the development around the bay a bit bewildering, Red House and Mount Stuart greatly missed! My commute was to Gabalfa, bit of a slog but magic compared to crossing London.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

You're not too old. My dad is 58 and would kill for a gti!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My dad is 65 and still thoroughly enjoys his 6N2 GTI 8)

Never too old!
beatty599
Getting There!

Post by beatty599 »

I know a guy that just retired and he sold his sensible jagggg and got a gti