1.2 Twist coolant temp sensor connector

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Keithyboy
New
Drives: 9n 1.2 Twist

1.2 Twist coolant temp sensor connector

Post by Keithyboy »

A nice simple question for my first post. My son's recently purchased 1.2 Twist is showing fault codes for the coolant temp sensor. I can't attach a photo but one of the wires has broken very close to the connector.

Unfortunately the wire is corroded all the way into the plug so there's very little to splice a new wire to. I've opened up the plug to expose more wire but it's a bit of a bodge.

Does anyone make an aftermarket plug with a bit of wiring or is a breaker my only option?

Thanks
chevmat08
New
Drives: 2004 9n 1.9tdi

Re: 1.2 Twist coolant temp sensor connector

Post by chevmat08 »

I have read the sensors fail and can leak from the brass into the plug and down the wiring. I'd be looking at maybe a new sensor and plug? Can you take the plug off and confirm if the pins are corroded at all?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

If I recall correctly the wiring is a bit tight in that location. Might be an idea to look on ebay and see if you can find a replacement plug with a view to replacing and soldering a length of wire if it is corroded.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing to understand or know is, that plug will have a unique VW Group part number moulded into its body, so one option is to cut it off as that bit of cable does not work, read off its part number and order in a new one from your local VW Group dealership - any marque from Audi down to Skoda will do, then gently crush the old plug in a vice to crack it open and recover the connector pins, then buy some suitable auto wire and splice in a good length and refit the pins to the new plug - making sure that you have noted which wire originally went to which plug pin obviously.

But as suggested maybe, a far better way to solve this is to find a scrappy that will give you a suitable plug along with a length of cable still on it and splice that into the harness in your son's car.

Finding out which connector pins are used with these plugs is a bit tricky, any or all new pins can be ordered in from VW dealership though there might be a minimum order unit size, other connector places also sell them as well.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Maybe not the right model but there are some on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4Pin-Coolant ... Sw5Pld6Tiy