So what next?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
bstardchild

So what next?

Post by bstardchild »

I thought I'd re-hash my members ride post to serve another purpose

Day I went to see it (crap pic) - it was scruffy but sound - and hadn't seen a wax polish in years if ever.....

Got it home - re-registered it (with her plate on it) and started cleaning it up..... nice but not exactly anything special
Debaged the scruffy/cack 1.4CL off the back but left the POLO one

Std Rad Cassette was pony so replaced with Kenwood MP3 unit
Found a set of 13' VW option alloys to replace the nasty steelies
Added a colour coded Zender tailgate spoiler
Added clear front indicators and clear side repeaters
(Edit) Added VW Sunglasses holder in place of drivers grab handle (Sorry forgot about that mod)

Changed to a debadged FK Grill
Finished debadging the rear - removed the POLO badge too
Fitted MKV GTi BBS split rim alloys (had the centres done in satin black powder coat and polished the outer rims)

Had to wait a while for the finishing touches for the wheels
Fitted New VW badges and black lug nut covers

Polished the rocker cover (well a spare one I had)

Then sold the 13' alloys and the FK grill on Ebay for £100 and £48 respectively

Fitted OE front grill and Black VW badge (Much better!)

Fitted black VW badge on the rear
Fitted MKV rear lights to the back (need sanding to be flush but they are on)

Fitted a set of second hand progressive lowering springs all round (had them shot blasted and powder coated in sating black first) so now it's 40-50mm lower

I've been completely through the car and serviced everything
Plugs, Dizzy Cap, Rotor Arm, Air filter, Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter and the engine oil and filter has already been replaced twice since I've had it!!!

On order and awaiting delivery and fitting

MKV Ciggy lighter ass and Toerag torch
Fit a MKV Estate tailgate wiper for a bit more smooth at the back
Fit a stubby aerial on the roof

I also need to sand/file down the MKV rear lights so they are flush :oops:

Future (and the purpose of this post)

What next?

It definately needs a roll bar to help with the handling :oops:

I thinking about debump striping but not 100% sure about that yet but anyone got any other ideas?

I'd like speakers in the rear or a very very small sub to balance the sound stage but thats not really important.
Last edited by bstardchild on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LJ_87
Getting There!

Post by LJ_87 »

personally id get rid of those bump strips, but as u want to keep em, id say color code the door handles and possibly the bump strips - maybe a 16v front bumper?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

You can get Mk5 strips, and cc them. Paint the handles while you're at it and consider getting 16v bumpers... (Don't know if that's a major job or not btw).

What's the interior like?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Speedlaw wrote:You can get Mk5 strips, and cc them. Paint the handles while you're at it
Good suggestion - that might be a good idea - if I could find a half decent reasonably priced alarm that linked with the central locking I'd buy some delocked handles and get those done so it's a simple straight swap over..
Speedlaw wrote: and consider getting 16v bumpers... (Don't know if that's a major job or not btw).
I'm not a huge fan of the 16V bumpers - and the ones fitted are scuff and chip free be a shame to take em off - I appreciate they might be better looking though so I guess it'll go on the possible list :wink:
Speedlaw wrote:What's the interior like?
Absolutely mint and unmarked but totally std in the dark grey trim rather than the light grey - I'd seriously thought about a 16V trim or a re trim in leather but it'd be out of my budget at the moment so it's on the list also
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

New splitter or skirts with a 16v rear?

remove the strips but leave the handles black, to break it up and tie in with the rims
PeteM
New

Post by PeteM »

what ye use to get the rocker cover "polished"?
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

PeteM wrote:what ye use to get the rocker cover "polished"?
Same as I used to do the wheels

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... c&start=30

:lol:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

1. 12v adaptor for the boot (never know when you might want a mini-fridge in the back!)

2. Sunglasses holder 8) - try arranging a GB possibly - I'd be first on the list after yourself :D

3. What about 6n2 bumpers front and back? I'm guessing the bumpers from a lower model will be in higher supply at breakers yards than GTi items :)

To further add to the problem of finding GTi bumpers, if you were to pursue this, the GTi only came in black, red and silver of course so they would need painting too - lower models like the 1.4s and 1.0s came in white.

When can we see pics of her lowered? 8)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Si_GTi wrote:1. 12v adaptor for the boot (never know when you might want a mini-fridge in the back!)
Hmm - thats a thought but I have a few other cars which could take a full sized one :lol:
Si_GTi wrote:2. Sunglasses holder 8) - try arranging a GB possibly - I'd be first on the list after yourself :D
Bugger - I guess I'll be editing above - it's one of the first things I bought from Vagparts :oops:
Si_GTi wrote:3. What about 6n2 bumpers front and back? I'm guessing the bumpers from a lower model will be in higher supply at breakers yards than GTi items :)
I think the back and front wings are different - they do look nicer but it may be a lot of work compared to MKIV 16V bumpers which fit straight on
Si_GTi wrote:To further add to the problem of finding GTi bumpers, if you were to pursue this, the GTi only came in black, red and silver of course so they would need painting too - lower models like the 1.4s and 1.0s came in white.
Hmmm I'll have to look at some - still be a lot of work tho!
Si_GTi wrote:When can we see pics of her lowered? 8)
Soon - maybe even tonight if it doesn't rain before I leave off work
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

zorst maybe to finish off the rear end? :P
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

carmadaaron wrote:zorst maybe to finish off the rear end? :P
I might get a custom tailpipe made to finish of the rear but a noisier exhaust I can well do without - got an LC and a Monza GSE that are loud as the devil riding on by :wink: This one needs to stay stealth :wink:
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

yeah, im thinking that tooo! :P
srbpower
Bronze Member

Post by srbpower »

Love the rear lights mate, they look really nice 8) Is it much of a job to fit them. Think they would look really good on a green one 8)

Si :)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

I guess I'll be having a go at a blue & red dash light conversion next

*Clicky*

Especially as I have a spare pod if it all goes pear shaped :lol:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

srbpower wrote:Love the rear lights mate, they look really nice 8) Is it much of a job to fit them. Think they would look really good on a green one 8)

Si :)
Not hard to do - just a bit of effort to get them to fit flush and a bit of wiring :lol: I think they rock on a white car 8)